do you know science?

Except that the drivers and steering wheels are on opposite sides, so in the car collision scenario there's just a bit more room for the cars to deform without killing the drivers.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

If you blindly comply with "service engine soon" lights, you are deserving of your 'science'.

Since I can take the entire engine bay apart, fix it, and re-assemble it, I do not pay attention to such lights. For one thing, they never come on in my cars.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

That is a LOT of heat.

Far easier to put it into solution, and then reconstitute it separately from the sand.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Depends on how tall the mast was, that it dropped off of. How the block of cement got up there in the first place is an exercise left to the student.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Have you adopted the NewSpeak convention that CO2 is "pollution"?

And do you assume that, when things get bad enough, the entire population of the planet, all 7 billion or whatever, will all simultaneously drop dead one Tuesday afternoon?

John

us

The

Not if we move it to a higher orbit.

John

John Lark>Have you adopted the NewSpeak convention that CO2 is "pollution"?

When produced at a level that the flora can't metabolize it, yeah. When that contributes to an increased Greenhouse Effect, yeah. (I'd add "runaway", but that might be controversial.)

...and I can't think of anything currently being used as fuel which produces *only* CO2. OTOH, wind, waves, geothermal, and solar produce zero pollution and will be available in massive amounts for eons.

I assume there will be increasing warfare over the remaining carbon-economy resources. You may have noticed that as the USA continues to export jobs, some folks have reached the conclusion that becoming cannon fodder is their only remaining option.

Reply to
JeffM

More like "Here, turn this screw for us..."

Try to screw us, however, and WE WILL WIN.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

I apologize. I misread item 2. The recent post by Hobbs seems to cover the idealized system. My hypothesized "rolling concrete block" would be more devastating.

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.
Reply to

Is the boat traveling in a gravity field?

Atsunori

Reply to
Atsunori Tamagawa

I would have thought "in reality" the Christian thing to do would be to pick the cement. It seems selfish to endanger the life of another just to marginally increase the the chances of saving your own miserable hide! :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

The other driver can save my life by himself electing to hit the concrete block. It's a sort of inverse prisoner's dilemma.

Part of the problem is that if both drivers are ulturistic, then they both sacrifice themselves against the concrete in an attempt to save the other, which is less optimal than both electing to have a head-on with the other, which they just might survive.

That is, if I'm willing to sacrifice myself, and regard myself as not special in that respect, I should nevertheless elect for the head-on with the other vehicle, because either I'll at least save one life (mine), or there will be less certainty that two will be extinguished.

What one needs is for one driver to be ulturistic, but also egotistical, so that he assumes other people are self-serving, and for the other actually to be self-serving. That way, one life is saved.

I trust that was clear.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Oh dear!

It's "altruistic". The act of being unselfish. Literally, it means "other-like" or perhaps better "other-minded".

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Why "Oh dear"? Do you attach so much more importance to your ability to spell the particular word than to my ability to reason with it?

You could have said "Note spelling: alturistic" and left it at that.

Did you have anything of substance to add, or was it just to make yourself feel superior?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

It requires a high temperature, for sure. The amount of heat required, depends on a lot of things; the latent heat of fusion of salt, specific heats of salt, sand and water and latent heat of vaporisation of water. The proportion of salt to sand comes into it. Energy is also required to get salt out of solution.

Some of the energy would be recoverable. We'll have to do an entropy analysis to determine the optimum solution.

As an aside, check out the material safety data sheet for salt

"Skin Protection: Wear protective gloves and clean body-covering clothing.

Eye Protection: Use chemical safety goggles. Maintain eye wash fountain and quick-drench facilities in work area."

Guess that "pinch of salt" in the kitchen is history.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Whatever you may think, many people --including me-- judge others by their ability to communicate clearly. Especially so on Usenet, where text is the sole form of exchange. I don't mind the occasional spelling or typing slip-up. I certainly make plenty myself. But this one was quite far off the mark.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

I would agree with this to a large degree

I would say especially not so on Usenet.. A Usenet reputation is an oxymoron. If one is concerned about their reputation they should not be hanging out on Usenet.

Reply to
brent

I like the antagonist who thinks he has usenet credibility.

Reply to
Greegor

You're perfectly right, and I think that most people would, in that situation. However the original spherical cow problem didn't specify that there was anyone in the other car. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

relative air flow proportional to speed of boat

Reply to
Greegor