do you know science?

This Terrell retard cannot even toss his horseshit into this group past more than a couple readers, and the bastard wants to 'toss' people "out" at a velocity greater than escape velocity?

Yeah, this bright bastard really knows what is going on... NOT!

Oh yeah, and what happens as you expend energy making this toss?

You gonna do it in a direction that adds to our rotation? Are you sure it will?

Bwuahahahahahahahaha!

I am sure your thick skull, and Lead ass would make us faster if we launched you out toward Apophis. Your Lead ass could drag it out away from impacting us.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

Bullshit. If one gets a choice, I would choose either, then attempt to make it a glancing blow at the last second. But those are not the rules.

You failed to read the parameters, or have problems detecting and including and retaining the details given in any circumstance or observation. What part of "Head On" do you have a basic lack of understanding of?

Like you have done with the meager contents of your skull cavity?

Reply to
OutsideObserver

Look, folks... this has been proven out since the days of James Dean.

IF you are moving in a straight line, both the wall and the 'identical car' would not have you faring well after the collision.

IF you were able to make a last second adjustment, which is dissallowed by the parameters of the test, the best, last-second move to make would be to make an immediate left or right turn. Kind of like a sub-atomic particle curl. That would change your inertial vector so that you would not get thrown into the wall or car nearly as hard.

But then, that's all "Ol' #3" did as well, and he didn't fare well.

I would still opt for attaining a glancing blow instead of a head on fool impact. But those aren't the rules.

We want direct, axis-of-travel impact against a perpendicular wall or identical car.

Reply to
OutsideObserver

Teachers in Florida are up in arms. The new governor wants to take away their free ride pension, since they are the only ones who get it. The union claims it's the only way to get good teachers to move to Florida.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We've discussed the situation within the rules at length. Now we're discussing a wider issue.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Drift left just before you turn right...

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle
[...]

[...]

I used to hate those sort of questions at school. They always seems to require you to read the mind of the questioner. There are always several possible answers.

Like the boat one above. The naive answer is i) - the boat is a fast one, so it leaves the marble behind.

A science student might say iii), since the marble is moving at the same speed as the boat to start with.

I would likely have said i), since air resistance would slow the marble down during the fall. But am I supposed to include that effect or not? If I do give that answer, I risk being in the "naive" group. Typical ambiguous question. And as someone pointed out on a *real* boat the marble would likely end up in the water anyway.

Like you said - is it a spherical cow, or a real, actual, cow?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

That's odd. I heard that it was Wisconsin.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Unfortunately the general public seem to hold teachers in high esteem when, in fact, they're a dime a dozen.

And their degrees are in "education", NOT in an academic skill. ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

They also have quite a racket going where they go out and get advanced degrees in education and that then puts them in a higher pay bracket. All these teachers strut around with their PhD degrees.

Reply to
brent

ices

Heh. Hey Salmon Egg, you just made an ass of yourself in a world-wide public forum!

Typical clown pretending to understand science. Hell, you didn't even bother to read the question! And isn't that the problem? Too many so- called scientists answering questions that they made up rather than the actual ones presented by reality. Some are really good at answering themselves.

So Mr. "Egg", which of the two "identical" cars is the "lighter one"?

Reply to
Benj

The cars were specified as "identical" and that clearly implies a driver of the same characteristics as you since you are specified as being in one of the cars. So obviously the "identical" provision is where the cows are spherical. Which is why you keep trying to argue that "real" cars are never completely identical.

Reply to
Benj

Like the occasional 'electronics teacher' who shows up on these groups and doesn't know anything.

Our new governor said he isn't going to take Federal scamulous money to build a high speed train from Orlando to Tampa. Disney and the construction unions have been pushing this turkey for years. Union members are whining about all those $31 an hour bulldozer jobs that will be lost. It was to be built between the East & West lanes of I-4, to minimize construction costs, but they still haven't mentioned that no one in the US builds the equipment, or that a foreign company was supposed to operate the system.

Another is claiming it should run from Tampa to Daytona, to give people a chance to work on the other side of the state. They fail to mention that there are already people looking for work in those two places.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The reason I keep arguing about it is because I cordially dislike this sort of problem, because (a) they're almost never well thought out, and (b) outside of school, their main purpose is to let some troll gloat over anyone who gets it wrong.

As to the facts of the matter, I invite you to compare your right hand to your left hand. They fit neatly palm-to-palm, but are not identical. The reverse is true of two cars of the same model--they're very nearly identical, but parked nose-to-nose, they aren't left-right symmetric. This really is not rocket surgery.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

| >> You're perfectly right, and I think that most people would, in that | >> situation. However the original spherical cow problem didn't specify | >> that there was anyone in the other car. ;) | >

| > The cars were specified as "identical" and that clearly implies a | > driver of the same characteristics as you since you are specified as | > being in one of the cars. So obviously the "identical" provision is | > where the cows are spherical. Which is why you keep trying to argue | > that "real" cars are never completely identical. | | The reason I keep arguing about it is because I cordially dislike this | sort of problem, because (a) they're almost never well thought out, and | (b) outside of school, their main purpose is to let some troll gloat | over anyone who gets it wrong. | | As to the facts of the matter, I invite you to compare your right hand | to your left hand. They fit neatly palm-to-palm, but are not identical. | The reverse is true of two cars of the same model--they're very nearly | identical, but parked nose-to-nose, they aren't left-right symmetric. | This really is not rocket surgery. | Q. If the A train was travelling due East at 50 mph and left Chicago at noon, and the B train was travelling due North at 60 mph and left New Orleans at 1:00 pm, and the wind was blowing from the North East at 25 mph, and the air temperature was 48 degrees F, what was the engine driver's name? A. Squawk! You didn't say which train driver, A or B! Squawwwwwwk!

Reply to
Androcles

One of the worst human health hazards is lack of access to energy, not the byproducts of it. Lifespan is strongly correlated to per-capita energy use.

A serious cause of cancer is particulates from wood smoke from indoor fires. More modern fossil fuel sources, especially natural gas, are far safer.

John

I associate high energy use with sedentary lifestyles which can also correlate with reduced lifespans.

Some folks manage to get by without either of those.

I remember seeing a story in the '70s about a guy in Coral Gables who was using a roof-mounted solar heat collector which had been built ~1936. ...not saying it would work for everybody everywhere.

Reply to
JeffM

Then you haven't looked up the worldwide statistics.

John