do you know science?

_The_ other name? Here are three: Hydrogen ash Ice Steam

Reply to
Jacob

Also...

Here the more interesting question is... why does the moon's rotation rate exactly match its orbital rate (around the Earth), thereby always showing us the same face?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

There is a gravity gradient, through the moon's mass, towards the earth. There have been satellite experiments utilizing that effect to stabilize the attitude of orbiting space craft.

--
Virg Wall
Reply to

Because his nose is heavier than his hair. Note that there is a wobble. The moon shows something more than 50% of the surface to the Earth (its orbit isn't perfectly circular).

BTW, some day, the Earth will do the same to the Moon.

Related: Is the earth getting closer to the moon or further?

Reply to
krw

Yes, this one seems to be a matter of psychology rather than physics. :) Selective observation and hasty induction.

Reclaiming old window glass you see panes are sometimes noticably non-uniform in thickness. But the orientation in the frame is more-or-less random.

I think the calculated "flow" time for typical glass is rather slow. Nothing should be observed for millions of years at least.

--
[Full metal rebuttal:]
Not true.

I see that you're not an engineer, or at least not one who's actually done anything.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

If the rope is made of anything a goat can chew through, it doesn't matter how long it is at the start.

Reply to
JeffM

If the electric blanket is on, yes.

if it is under sail the top of the mast would be above the sea and the marble would land there. the wind would be away from the boat at some angle and will effect wether the marble lands for'ard aft or abeam of the mast.

you want more poorly formulated questions?

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

also the earth's diameter is larger than the moon.

it has been calculated that the system's rotational innertia is insufficient for the moon to escape?

further, but not very fast.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

te

g us

. =A0The

I'd guess the distance is decreasing... total energy decreasing.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

you

d arm.

en

it's

ss

he

at

at

d text -

Tim, I was going to say not to bother repleying. too late,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

And was the ship right side up or capsized and running like a submnarine ? If so, the marble would sink to the bottom.

boB

Reply to
boB

I seem to remember a figure of the moon moving away at about 1 inch per year ?

boB

Reply to
boB

Yep, and slowly losing energy in the process, by powering the tides(together with the sun).

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

rate

wing us

ble. =A0The

bit

Hmm, I'm gonna hve to do some math.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

us

The

The Earth's rotation is what loses energy--the moon gains it. Angular momentum is conserved.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

sage

on rate

howing us

obble. =A0The

orbit

t- Hide quoted text -

Oh that should help, Thanks, George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Nope. Make him 'walk the plank' in front of everyone present.

Just like in "Down Periscope". It's that last step...

Reply to
TheKraken

Because of the way they made the glass back then. No other reason, and it could just as easily have been installed thick-end-at-the-top, it simply wasn't the practice.

So, NO, it does not "eventually flow" to that thickness at the bottom. If you think it did, YOU are the one that believed the untrue wive's tale.

Yes, it is a superfluid, but NO, the glass did not thicken after 150 years of sitting in the frame against Earth's gravity.

Yes, a frozen turkey WILL pass right through a train or passenger jet windshield without stopping if it has a great enough velocity relative to the windshield.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! :)

--
Theodore (Ted) Heise          Bloomington, IN, USA
Reply to