Disagree with wife over bulb temp, Help

Lights-Of-America Brand. WalMart, Costco. ~$6 each. I've seen 'em elsewhere, but at substantially higher cost.

Looks like they're 2W now. There are several generations. Older ones have leaded LEDS that point up. Newer ones have a stalk with SMT LEDS radiating radially. Come in different color temperatures. The specify the light output on the package, but I didn't save it. Some bad reviews on reliability of the LOA brand. I've never had one fail.

Reply to
mike

The thought crossed my mind of getting a low power 6500K bulb, and then giving her the choice of 6500K or 2700K.

He can always explain the difference away to his wife that the lower temperature ones are more efficient!!

I do hope she doesn't read this newsgroup!!

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

How about if you install another light for yourself in the morning?

Keep your wife happy and she'll keep you happy, (at least in my experience.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

How about if you install another light for yourself in the morning?

Keep your wife happy and she'll keep you happy, (at least in my experience.)

George H.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yep. A happy wife means a happy life.

Reply to
tm

Why not? Do all of the electrons run out?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Get some table lamps with shades. Overhead lights are stark, especially first thing in the morning.

Undercabinet lights are great in a kitchen, especially dimmable ones.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

f...

f...

who pays the electric bill?

Reply to
halong

I got some 3 watt LEDs similar purpose, but only 100 ma or less each. Lots of extra light.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Mine are modules. If I cranked them up from 100 ma. Way to bright. 2700 degrees.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It's great for task light, like a workshop or laundry. It's a little harsh for a kitchen but not all that different than light from halogen can lights (my preference).

Reply to
krw

Um, the kitchen isn't the first thing I use out of bed, either. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Heat. The electronics in the base of a "normal" CFL fries if it's run base-up. Most don't like being in can lights or enclosures of any kind, either. CFLs are really a lousy technology for many reasons.

Reply to
krw

I see this evening she has bought a 13 watt 6500K bulb. The original was a 26 watt. If she installs it herself, she has to be happy, right? We will see. I'll still be on the prowl for a 4100K 26 watt bulb. Mikek

PS. My wife bought her own chain saw too.

Reply to
amdx

I think the CFL is going to be run out by LEDs fairly fast. A flash in the technological pan. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

The 6500K have the highest color rendering index values, usually in the 90s ( beyond excellent), so if your butter looks green, it's because it /is/ g reen.

That's the other complicating factor, luminance, or the reflected light lea ving a surface. This could also explain your green butter, it was being ill uminated by predominantly green reflection off some surface, but the direct illumination of the butter should be true at 6500K.

I thought the OP lived in a houseboat. Unless it is some kind of humongous, a 1600 lumen bulb seems way way way over-illumination, that will bring out all the other existing defects in spades, the main one being glare. He sho uld probably stay with 6500K and go to a dimmable.

nglamp_hpf_6500k_cfl.asp
.aspx

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

These fit in the same fixture?

That has an ominous sound to it.

Reply to
krw

I think you're right; one that I'll (mostly) pass on. Except for very limited use, I can't stand them. They have the worst features of both (incandescent and fluorescent).

Reply to
krw

they do, it's the blend they choose that determines the aparrent colour temperature.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I opened and removed one of the 13 watt 6500K bulbs from the package of two package. I then installed a 23 watt 5000K bulb in the ceiling fixture that I bought. The half empty package is on the counter. I'll see if she is happy with what she thinks she bought. This bulb is slow to get to the operating color.

My morning may have been better with the 13 watt bulb, but I don't think she would have been happy with a bulb of half the power. She didn't know what was in the fixture previously. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Yes, compared to the long history of the incandescent, the CFL is going to be quite a bit shorter run.

Well, they DO save electricity, and they do last a bit longer than a plain incandescent. We have some fancy incand. bulbs, decorator-style things like flair and big globe bulbs that have lasted many years, while the typical

60W frosted bulb would only last a couple months at most. I guess those long-lasting bulbs were running at a much lower filament temperature.

CFLs rarely last as long as the glowing predictions on the box for

10K hour life, though. Bathrooms are really bad due to the humidity. I marked the install date on mine, and usually got 2 years or so. Guessing maybe 6-8 hours/day, that comes to maybe 4000 hours. Of course, if your kids start tossing balls in the house, lifetime can be measured in minutes!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson