Did Europe's new standards for pc boards ground Airubs?

Linux. The Internet. Sushi.

John

LOL. What I find funniest of all is his assertion that using the mystical code of "imperial" somehow renders american measurements indecipherable to us metricated heathens.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Ferrites Yagi antenna Penicillin World Wide Web Velcro The magnetron Gunpowder Nitroglycerin, Gelignite, Dynamite, etc,etc The Parachute

I have probably missed one or two.

Reply to
Barry Lennox

The Internet is American. The world-wide web is European.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Do you mean that they lied when they told me Europe was the World-Wide Weird? I thought Eeyore, and the other Eurotrolls were part of that weird package!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Like it's my fault you couldn't remember turnbuckle.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

We Europeans are only weird because we choose to be...

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

from

possible,

American measurments ?

AFAIK imperial measurements is of British origin and was around before America even existed. Its interesting however America still use imperial measurments generally but yet use kilometers for roads etc, yet in the UK we have abandoned inches mostly but still use the mile instead of kilometers for roads and such.

It wont surprise me if the EU makes us abandon imperial completly, they made us abandon lbs not so long ago, before that for a while sugar was sold in

2.2lb bags lol ! (=1kg)

I gues its just the inertia of changing that is the thing, we had to learn both inches and metric in school.

Im working on something now that has 3mm and 3.175mm dia shafts lol. I heard the semiconductor uses inches in the vertical direction (thickness) but millimeters in the x-y direction. and they call thousands of an inch a mill. (we call it thou)

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Keep telling yourself that! ;-)

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not around here. The roads are still marked in miles. Why waste money on new signs?

That's more of your freedom you've given up to the French! :(

No, it is called a mil. A mill is where you take wheat to grind it into flour.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I call thousandths of an inch "thou" if I'm talking about mechanical design ("Blanchard grind to three thou flatness"), or "mils" if I'm talking about electrical or electronic stuff ("1000 volts per mil" or "8 mil lines and spaces"). Pretty much disparate domains.

In mold work I sometimes hear "tenths of an inch" (more often, thankfully, just "tenths") when what they mean is tenths of a thousandth of an inch.

It's interesting to see Asian engineers who've never had to deal with inches (from China, for example) fumbling around with conversion factors and subjected to the horrors of fractional inch standards (quick, what's halfway along an 11/32" line? And how many digits do you need to display it exactly?)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You're lucky. It took me years of dedicated training.

John

We do have some home-grown things, screw threads and such.

What did various european countries use before metrification?

All the signs around here are in miles. I don't recall ever seeing a km-denoted road sign in the US.

We're seeing a lot of foods (pasta, wine, things like that) sold in metric measure. The other thing that's interesting, at least here in California, is that English/Spanish labeling is in some places being replaced by English/French labels. That makes no sense demographically, so I guess it's snob appeal.

John

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 11:00:06 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Weird science from you, John? NO!!! :-]

Reply to
JoeBloe

Coca Cola was apparently copied from the Scottish soft drink "kola".

Reply to
David Brown

Do the Scots grow coca? Or cola beans?

John

Got the american 'kola' monicker much later. Original drink probably the centuries old "Dandelion and Burdock", still on sale now. Original 'pop' made entirely from weeds and then sold to poor people. Nothing changes of course. High technology now allows the weeds to be replaced by much cheaper chemicals (Tesco esp'). john

john jardine

but

Well Ive not been over there but always hear about your speed limits in KMH.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Probably the newspapers translate. Like when you see a report that a car was travelling over 160km/h, you know it was likely a 100mph guesstimate. The only km/h signs I've seen in the US are dual-marked signs on freeways near the Mexican border. Presumably Canadians are deemed capable of working in either system.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I have not seen even one speed limit sign in KMH in the state of Florida, so someone is lying to you.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida