Separating PC Boards

Hi guys:

What's the best way to separate PC boards that loses the least amount of material? Currently, when I have several small circuits on a single PCB that need to be cut apart, I use a band saw. But this method is crude, comes too close to the traces, and I end up wasting a lot of material.

Is there a better way? How do the board manufacturers cut their boards?

Thanks for any replies.

Don

Reply to
Don A. Gilmore

You can have them scored so they 'break apart'.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I score both sides with a scoring knife and break them, then sand the edges with silicon carbide paper.

They route the outline, either all the way through with a cylindrical cutter, or V grove each side with a pointed bit, for later break separation.

Reply to
John Popelish