Did Europe's new standards for pc boards ground Airubs?

Just wondering. Did the stupid European elitists for environmental safety manage to bring Airbus to the ground because of the new standards prohibiting lead in soldered joints? I keep looking at media reports on their demise and keep seeing management at blame, but my gut feeling is the blame is in idiots who think they know more than state of the art science.

Am I wrong?

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Hello Wayne,

AFAIK most safety critical gear is exempted from RoHS.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Don't know. The latest Monopoly instructions say you have to advance to intelligent before that sort of decision can be made.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

I'd say so. I'm sure 99.9% of all connections are crimped.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Well... there you go, another unintelligent person. With modern technology it's all fly by wire so the proper stuff is spliced.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Right. Sure. Spliced. That's real easy to do without crimping on a 200 pin plug and socket.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Probably. The reports over here talk about problems with cabling rather than connectors, and I've seen mechanical engineers bollix cabling by making the cable trays too small or forgetting about them altogether.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Gosh, what part of fly by wire failed to... Not much point, is there?

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Yes, they claim to have cabling problems. Cabling in airplanes is never soldered.

BTW, I just read in the news today the EU may extend to within 2000 miles of the US border...

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Yup.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Then there were the cowboys who bollixed up the SwissAir entertainment installs and destroyed a plane - and the whole airline.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

It seems so. How do you 'splice' connections to a fuse, a switch, a controller? And why would you splice anything?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Probably not, about 99.9% of all connections in A/C are crimped, and it's been that way for 20-30 years. Connections to small parts like switches, CBs and lamps have crimped terminal ends to a screw connection, or the newer crimped pins which then push into the switch body.

Of course, all the avionics will use solder, Pb or Not Pb. While the aerospace industry can claim some exemptions, that's SFA use if you can no longer get the Pb parts.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

I suppose it has something to do with flying by wire......

DNA

Reply to
Genome

So what? You pray over the wire? Wave it like a magic wand?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Sorry, which subsection of part eight of paragraph 54 are you reading at the moment?

DNA

Reply to
Genome

You seem to have no concept of what flying by wire means. It means flying by hydraulics.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Sure, if you need to piss in your boots to keep your feet warm. Just make sure it's a nice day and landing time is 10 minutes later.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

OK, you've proved you are an idiot. Was this a surprise to anyone?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:03:50 +1300, Barry Lennox Gave us:

"Soldered joints" refers to circuit boards, not wires and switches with wires attached, dufus.

He was referring to RoHS, and tin problems.

Reply to
JoeBloe