Soft "varnish" on PC boards?

I have a couple of PC boards from where I want to nicely remove components. They are covered in soft "varnish", it has a rubbery texture. How could Iremove this varnish?

thanks

Ignoramus14946

That sounds more like one of the varieties of conformal coating. There are various removal solvents, but which one you can use depends on the coating.

A pretty universal remover was Freon, and damned fine it as at the task too, but that's not really available for outdoor use any more ;) [no eco-shouting please, I am merely making an observation]

You might look in your favourite catalogue and see what is availble under 'solvents'

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

I have some Acetone, Freon, and some Trichlorethane, but I don't think either would remove a rubbery coating, especially silicone.

I used to have a Trichlorethane fire extinguisher long ago.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Why not just try something harmless like mineral oil. You can go to the nasty stuff if that doesn't work.

Reply to
kell

Check out:

I've used their stuff for years with great success.

Al

Reply to
Al

I assume it's SMD components - and the varnish is over the top?

Reply to
Ian Stirling