Making pc boards cheap

Just wanted to share this link for anyone that is thinking of making your own pcb's. This link is to the web site of tom gotee. It is a very well detailed step through on making pcb's using the toner transfer method, but not with the expensive toner transfer paper. I have tested this ( Jet PRINTPHOTO - Multi-project photo paper ) with much better results then I got with the high priced ttp.

Take a look, I was very impressed with the results.. JTT...

Reply to
James Thompson

Yes, I'm trying it out too and it does indeed work. I'm aslo using his suggested mix of acid and peroxide as etchant.

Reply to
slebetman

"James Thompson" schreef in bericht news:5780c$44331653$438c83b0$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET...

Page has been updated since the last time I visited. Tried several types of paper (can't get the described type here) but no fun. My Laserjet 4Si does not seem to cover the sheets anyway neither for plain paper, nor for transparants nor for any other kind of sheets I tried. It's not just pinholes, you can see the light through it. Tried a new Laserjet of my brother (don't know the exact type) but achieve the same results. Ever tried with a Laserjet 5000 that seemed to do better, but have no access to it anymore.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Look for inkjet photo paper that has 1 side shinny, other side normal paper. The paper I tried is JET brand gloss finish, made by international paper company of memphis tn. Bar ID: 010199070333. As I said, It did a much better job than the normal toner transfer paper. No pits, and smooth dark traces. Even on some very fine traces. JTT...

Reply to
James Thompson

JTT,

Thanks for mentioning my "pcb-making" webpage. I made that page, originally, because I didn't want everyone else to have to "re-invent the wheel", since it had taken me quite a bit of time and money to get the toner transfer method working well. It's especially-great for fast-turnaround prototyping needs, and/or for a very low budget.

I want to point out that there is a very good discussion group that's devoted to making your own PCBs. It's called Homebrew_PCBs, and is at

.

(P.S. Off-topic: I sure hope that everyone else has also downloaded Linear Tech Corp's free LT-SPICE circuit simulator (AKA SwitcherCAD III), from

! It is a truly-excellent general-purpose Spice-based simulator. And there is a great discussion group for it, at
. Both highly recommended!)

Regards,

Tom Gootee

tomg