design course and resources wanted

Just what exactly do you want to design?

It's been pointed out on this group and many others that design skills come with experience, so the quick answer is that you go get some experience. However, there are plenty of fundamental skills that aren't taught in EE or ET programmes that you could certainly teach yourself, and people here will be happy to point you towards some good resources. But all this is dependent on what you want to design.

There's plenty of resources of one sort or another in the Toronto area, but all are specific to certain areas of electrical engineering.

If you respond with what it is that you are interested in learning about the design of, there may be some more specific answers I can give you.

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
kmaryan

I learned all my basic electroncs stuff out of the Radio Amateurs Handbook. Its a great source for comprehensive knowledge (minus the over abundance of seldom needed mathematics found in most'text' books).

--
Luhan Monat (luhanis \'at\' yahoo \'dot\' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."

Hello everyone I'm an electrical engineer and never did design before, I am working now as technologist. I like to learn design. does anybody know about good courses in Toronto area in Canada or some resources sites . Thanks for reading

Ed

Reply to
ehab abbas

Trying to learn electronic design in a classroom, or on the web, would be about as effective as learning tennis in a classroom. Design is not an intellectual activity; to learn how to design, just do it. It would be helpful to design things in the presence of a mentor who is already good at it, which implies a job with a small company, under somebody who is willing to give you a job you can already do productively but where you could gradually transition into design (if you have the talent and temperament, which not everyone has.)

John

thank you very much for the reply. yes you are right I will try to explain more in details. I like to learn how to design logic circuits using CPLDs also iam interested in learning about microcontroller cos I know C language and I would love to learn how to program embedded microcontrollers. Regards

Ed

Reply to
ehab abbas

I recommend a good development system in each area. Something that lets you try things out and is helpful at debugging. Programming (in the early phases) has much more to do with analyzing your mistakes than anything else. Mostly *have fun*, if not, learning is an awfully big chore.

--
Luhan Monat (luhanis \'at\' yahoo \'dot\' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Ah, now we have a bit more information.

For microcontrollers, pick up a Microchip PIC

and a programmer (various models available, ranging from dirt cheap to several hundred $, google "PIC programmer"). The development environment is free (look for MPLab on the Microchip site) Resources abound on the net,
is a good start, as are the app notes on the Microchip website. Pick a simple project and get started. Learn from your mistakes. Start with something like making an LED blink then work your up. C compilers are available, but cost $, start with assembly first. Once you get the hang of PICs, other microcontrollers will be easy to learn.

For CPLDs, the path is similar, but the learning curve is a bit more steep. Both Altera and Xilinx have some cheap models, programmers can be bought or made. I believe the basic development environment for both costs some $, unless you are a student. Again, start with a small project like a binary adder and work your way up. I'm not especially familiar with what resources are out there for programmable logic devices, but if you google something like "CPLD programming" or "FPGA programming" you're bound to find something eventually.

Chris

Reply to
kmaryan

I'll second that. I had the 1963 edition. But I didn't actually _learn_ from the book - I learned by getting my hands on parts and building stuff.

Do they have Radio Shack or Fry's in Canada? They have hobbyist starter kits. Learn what makes the 'bits' go up and down - the rest is conversation. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise