Getting started

I want to start playing with microcontrollers. Is this what I want?

Mitch

It all depends on your knowledge, both software and hardware. Do you have a lot of experience with electronics in general, and digital electronics in particular, or are you really just getting started?

The Pictstart Plus is a good system, but to put the chips to use after you program them you will need to build something. Are you up to that?

If you'be built PC boards before, hopefully with some digital logic, then go for it. If you're really a beginner, I would suggest starting with something like the Basic Stamp from Parallax. They have a few options, like a basic stamp, programming software and a solderless breadboard and a handful of parts to get you started, prices are reasonable and some come with introductory manuals that will jump-start you.

Mitch wrote:

Reply to
Tom

If you just want to start playing with them a little, seeing what they can do, etc, and don't have your employer/university/whatever paying for your gear, I'd recommend this:

The PIC Kit 2 Debug Express let's you work with their introductory range of microcontrollers, and it's 1/4 of the price. It's also nice to have it running via USB. It is also capable of powering the included demo board entirely via the USB connection. The downside is that it does not support their full range of products, but it is good value for your money. Best of luck,

Felix

Reply to
Felix

I got my degree in electrical engineering in 1990. I never did any design...actually I never did any electrical engineering!

I'm good in BASIC, and I'm working on my soldering skills.

I want to introduce my kids to electronics, so I want to start from the very basics.

I like making gadgets for Halloween, and I'd like to use microcontrollers for things like this:

I just got the Parallax "What's a Microcontroller" kit. It's great! It uses BASIC, so I don't need a separate compiler.

So it's working out well as an intro, but I eventually want to be able to flash a PIC and use it in a standalone circuit/project.

I was reading about MPLab, and how PICBASIC can now be used with it.

Is that a good way to go if I don't want to learn C (or re-learn assembly)?

Reply to
Mitch

In addition to the good suggestions made so far, if you're planning on building projects, invest in a cheapy little solderless breadboard / protoboard. It helps if it has a built-in power supply but if not, you can get a wall wart with a regulated +5VDC output and run the system from that. You can get small protoboards from DigiKey or Jameco or the like. Then you just get the chips (from DigiKey or Jameco or the like) and plug everything together with jumper wires. It's a great way to test your circuit concept without having to go to printed circuit board (yet). It's a lot easier to make quick modifications, also. Of course, this assumes you have a way to program the PIC, too (like the starter kits mentioned, etc.).

This also gives you the ability to assign your input/output pins wherever you want them instead of the way they're layed out on the prepackaged development boards. You can also experiment with running short-range RF transmitter/receiver pairs, light sensors, LED outputs, etc., etc., etc.

Good luck.

Dave

Reply to
starfire

I have been programming PICs in Basic for a while now. I find that for the price MikroBasic

is the most flexible Basic compiler I have found on the market. It has great customer support (via forums), constant updates, and you can't beat the price. I will also agree that the PicKit2 is the perfect tool for a someone that is just getting started.

kokovec

Take a look at

Kind regards Henrik "Mitch" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to