DC converter

Hi,

I am using the following function generator to produce a 60Hz ,

16Volts peak to peak output voltage.

I am using following DC to DC converter and Bridge Rectifier

The bridge rectifier is hooked up to the function generator and the output of the bridge rectifier is going to the DC to DC Converter's pin 3. I am using the ciruit as given on the first page of the data sheet except I used two capacitors in parallel instead of 2.2uF , 50 volts 10uF and 1uf 50v capacitor at the input input Vin.

So, if the input voltage is 16 volts peak to peak , then after the bridge I get nearly 6 volts (measured by scope) at the output of the bridge and I get 3.6 volts (measured by voltmeter) at the output of the DC to DC converter.

The DC TO DC converter suppose to output 5 volts. but it is outputting

3.7 volts. I am unable to understand what is the problem. I hooked up the DC to DC converter to the power supply and it produced 5 volts but with bridge rectifier, it is not producing the appropiate voltage. Am I using the wrong capacitor values? Please advise!

John

Reply to
john

How does that 6V look? Lots of ripple? Depending on your load current

60Hz requires a few hundred uF. So if other than the 10uF there's nothing on the input side that would be your problem :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:16:57 -0800 (PST)) it happened john wrote in :

Without looking at your diagram, did you take into account the voltage drop of 2 diodes in the bridge?

2 x 0.7 = 1.4 5 - 1.4 = 3.6
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

A function generator is _feeding_ the bridge?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Hi, Yes the function generator is feeding the bridge. I increased the input voltage frequency upto 5000Hz and 50khz and amplitude to 24 volts peak to peak. And also took the full bridge out and replace with one diode and connect a 20kohm as a load and 220uF 25 volts capacitor in parallel with the load. I can see the output of 9 volts (volt meter mesurement)

So, now I have half bridge rectifier output but still I am not getting the 5 volts output. As soon as I connect the output of the single diode bridge to the DC to DC converter the output of the single diode bridge falls from 9 volts to 3.5 volts and the out put of the DC to DC converter is 3.5 volts not 5 volts. The ground of the fumction generator is connected to ground of the dc to dc converter

John

Reply to
john

SO, the function generator has output of 50 ohm impedance. My be it can drive the bridge or a single diode.

Reply to
john

Hmm, Maybe you are loading down the signal generator? Does the output change when you attach the DC-DC converter? How much current is the DC-DC drawing.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Let's take this step by step. A couple of questions before we attempt to solve the 'mystery': Did you measure the output voltage from the function generator before or after you connect the bridge rectifier and the DC-DC converter to it? Did you connect any load at the output of the DC-DC converter?

Reply to
pimpom

john wrote:

Your posts are confusing to me. If you have the generator ground connected to the DC-DC ground along with the negative terminal of the rectifier bridge, that's wrong... the generator ground should be isolated from the rectifier negative, otherwise, you have a half-wave rectifier. Your hookup should look like the diagram below. Is this what you have?

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

Generator

+------+ DC-DC Conv | | +-----------+ | | FWBridge | | | | +----+ | | | |Out AC| |+ | | | +-----------+ +-----+-------------|Vin | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |+ | | | | | | -+- | | | | | | -+- | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |Gnd AC| |- | | | | +-----------+ +-----+ | | | | | | | | | | | +----+ | | | | | | | | | | | | | +------+ | | | | | | | | Gnd | | +--+--------+ | | +----------------+ | | ---+--- --- -
--
Dave M
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

--- First off, your function generator has an output impedance of 50 ohms, which means that it looks like a voltage source with a 50 ohm resistor connected in series with it, the unconnected end of the resistor being presented to the outside world as the output of the generator, like this: (View in Courier)

E1 / +---[50R]----->E2 | [E] | +------------->GND

With a load connected , the circuit becomes a voltage divider, so we have:

E1 / R1 +---[50R]--+--->E2 | | [E] [xR] | | +----------+--->GND

Now, with the circuit you've described, a half-wave rectifier followed by a reservoir capacitor and a load,:

E1 E2 / R1 / +---[50R]-+-[DIODE>]--+------+ | |C1 |R2 [E] [220µF] [20k] | | | +---------------------+------+ \ GND

We'd expect, to a first approximation, that:

(E1 * R2) 12V * 20kR E2 = ----------- = ------------ = 11.97 volts R1 + R2 50R + 20kR

Subtracting about 0.7 volts for the drop across the diode would make E2 equal to about 11.3 volts, but I suspect that the reverse capacitance of the rectifier at the frequency you're driving it at is sucking charge out of the cap, making its terminal voltage fall.

Drop the frequency down to around 60Hz and you should see the voltage across the cap rise to around 11 volts.

---

--- Remembering that there's a 50 ohm resistor in series with the output of your function generator, whatever you load it with will cause its output voltage to drop and, eventually, to starve your load if the current your load draws causes the voltage dropped across the generator's output resistance to increase to the point where there's not enough left to supply the load with what it needs.

JF

Reply to
John Fields

This is an analog signal generator with an output impedance of 50 ohms, referenced to ground. If you ground an output from the bridge with a scope probe, you change the schematic to a half-wave rectifier, giving 16V/2 - 2 x diode drops.

RL

Reply to
legg

Your function genarator even if you hook everything up correctly as others have suggested likely is'nt up to the task you are useing it for.

When you use a bridge cap input the cap gets recharged in current pulses which your FG is probably crapping out on.

Assumunig your buck is the 1.75w Buck in the AN your FG would have to supply takeing into consideration rectifier and SMPS conversion losses about 2.1W. It would have to supply larger peak power to charge the caps which its likely not able to do.The more current it provides the less the output voltage would be.Plus the other problems people have mentioned.

Reply to
Hammy

OK. Coming out of the gate you have introduced major problems by using=20 a laboratory signal source as a power source. Get a decent audio power=20 amplifier (50 W should do it), feed it from the 4011, and use that=20 combination as the substitute for a transformer.

This is caused by the internal impedance of the 4011. You should see=20 about 14 V peak. and read about 12 with an average reading voltmeter=20 (both cases without filter cap).

Reply to
JosephKK