Wide Range DC to DC Converter

Hi There,

I have an application for a 500W DC to DC converter. The input is

15VDC-->60VDC and the output is 10VDC. I ran through some numbers and using a full bridge with ZVS I don't think I can get 90% eff at full load over the input range. Also the ripple and 60VDC input may be a problem too.

If I were to use a boost converter (CCM) before the full bridge can I get higher overall efficiency? I read a few posts and am a little confused. Lets say if boost to 80V first then use a full bridge to get from 80V to 10V. The boost would still have to deal with the wide input range of 15VDC->60VDC. However, I notice the transfer function is not linear, Vo = Vin (1/(1-d)) unlike the full bridge (CCM). Is the non linear transfer function the reason the CCM boost can handle wide input ranges with better eff than a full bridge or buck topology?

Kooner.

Reply to
Kooner

Push pull forward converter. Synchronous rectifier if higher efficiency is desired.

Full bridge has double losses no matter what you do.

Tim

Tim Williams

Do you need isolation? If not, it's just a buck regulator, maybe one of those newfangled polyphase ones.

John