Connector Voltage Rating

The CUI PJ-032BH 2.5mm power jack is rated

16VDC @5A Contact Resistance: 50m OHMs MAX Insulation Resistance: 100M OHM Min 500V DC Voltage Withstand: 500V AC R.M.S for 1 Minute Life 5000 Cycles Operating Temp: -25 +85v

What happens if you put more than 16 volts on the connector? Too high a current and the connector gets hot and melts. Really high voltage will breakdown the insulation or arc. But at 16 volts I can't think of a failure mechanism.

thanks

Reply to
Wanderer

Maximum ratings do not necessarily mean spectacular and catastrophic failure if exceeded. Exceeding them may result only in very gradual deterioration over a long time. Ratings may also be very conservative or marginal. In any case, 16VDC at 5A could cause significant arcing at break.

Reply to
pimpom

So it's like a relay contact spec. Using a higher voltage would cause pitting and wear and reduce the life of the connector, but if the connector is designed to connect a 12 volt power supply normally, it should survive an accidental 48 volt supply plugged into it if I have appropriate safety circuits after the connector.

Reply to
Wanderer

Think of potential arcing when the built-in switch is opened or the plug is removed.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I note there is no reference to the word maximum in your rating. This could just as easily be a minimum, warning of lousy internal contact or intermittency at lower application voltages. An unlikely admission, even if true (the first thing to break in most commodity wall warts seems to be cable and connector).

RL RL

Reply to
legg

"Wanderer"

** Well that is UTTER BULLSHIT for a start !!!!

I squared R loss is 1.25 watts - which would MELT the stupid damn thing in seconds !!

Expect it to take maybe a couple of amps up to about 20 volts DC with rare disconnect under load events.

Any more DC voltage is dangerous and BLOODY ILLEGAL !!

Fool.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Wanderer"

** Well that is UTTER BULLSHIT for a start !!!!

I squared R loss is 1.25 watts - which would MELT the stupid damn thing in seconds !!

Expect it to take maybe a couple of amps up to about 20 volts DC with only rare disconnect under load events.