DC-DC down converter

Hi, I want to install some 6V Fluorescent lighting in my travel trailer. I have found some nice little lights that will do the job just fine but I need to convert the 12V power source to 6 volt. I'm looking for a set of detailed schematics and a parts list that a novice can assemble. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
JT

Can two be wired in series?

Reply to
Mark Jones

How many Watts/Amps? You can buy a DC-C converter, you know.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

It would probably easier and cheaper to get some proper 12v/camping ones. but try

and

martin

Serious error. All shortcuts have disappeared. Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Reply to
martin griffith

It's not a good idea, unless you can confirm from the manufacturers that it'll work. It can kill lights not designed for it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have

need to

detailed

would be

A dc dc converter is an overkill for that job. The options you have using resistors and 1 or a bunch of transistors are limitless ... not to mention if you use opamps. The simplest configuration that comes to my mind is 1 power amp used as a voltage follower with 2 equal resistors .. better above 100k to limit input current dissipation. Watchout for the output current capability of the opamp as stated on the datasheets. Your load current must be less then that. If not stated try to estimate it using the power =v*i dissipation values as stated on the datasheets.

Reply to
lemonjuice