DC/DC Converter

There any be several other specifications you need to nail down before deciding on a choice. What is the maximum battery charge current allowed? Or are you just going to hope that controlling the battery voltage is good enough? Is the controller expected to react to protect itself on a better overload? Or will fusing or other protection accomplish this? What happens if a cell in the battery shorts?

After that, I think you need to look ar general purpose PWM controllers that drive large external switching devices. Something like the 3524:

You will need a couple hefty inductors and switches to make a current controlled two phase buck regulator.

--
John Popelish
Reply to

Gentlemen,

I am starting the design of a DC/DC converter used as a Wind turbine battery-charging system.

The DC wind turbine output voltage will be connected to the input of the Controller. The output of the controller will be connected to a lead-acid 24 Volts battery bank, 1440 Ah capacity.

The basic data of the wind turbine output are:

At low Low speed: 35 volts 1 amp At High speed : 156 Volts 13 amps

What kind of DC/DC Step-down topology (Buck, Push-Pull) is the most suitable:

- Buck classic

- Buck synchronous

- Several Buck in parallel

- Multiphase Buck

- Push Pull topology

How can I deal with the very large input voltage, because I found no PWM controller. The closest I found is the LINEAR LTC 3703 that can work up to 100 Volts.

Is there any PWM controller else ?

Thanks four your help A.

Reply to
Dupont

From a certain power up, the DC/DC is done as sync rectified transformer converter. Possibly even as multiphase.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

I'll say! This is a 35 to 156V range, or a nearly 5x voltage range and 35W to 2kW, which is a 60x power range. These are not easy parameters for a simple buck converter, or whatever. I wonder if any of the commercial wind-generator converters work effectively and efficiently over this full range. What's more, one cannot regulate output voltage, current or power, per se, because these should all be variable, as a complex function of wind speed. If one attempts to regulate any one of these, the generator could be loaded to the point of stall and a poor wind-power collection would result.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Apparently the generator is a permanent magnet DC motor with the torque proportional to the current and the revs proportional to the voltage. It requires a maximum-power-tracker to have revolutions and torque maximized, repectively the product of it. The only parameter is apparently the DC voltage burden giving the revolutions. Yes, a more advanced design would have the attack angle of the blades variable. Running that optimally would possibly be beyond a simple controller though. A weak point of the current design is the point of the batteries being full.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar