DAC with variable sample rate

Hello!

Is it possible to control the sample rate of a DAC (no oversampling, of course) with an analog VCO, variable within a wide range (few Hz up to 10Mhz), also frequency-modulated? First without consideration how to feed it properly.

Regards, Oliver

Reply to
Oliver Glassl

Dang...new DAC technology...How does one keep up with this stuff :P I thought a DAC step change rate depended on the data rate.. To vary the data rate, that's up to the other electronics not the DAC. A DAC can be as simple as a buffer and a resistor network. Do you mean ADC instead?

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

Of course I can=B4t control the DSP by the VCO, so If you prefer it that way: Some asynchronous element is controlled by the VCO.

Reply to
Oliver Glassl

Yes, of course, most VLSI has been fully static for some time now...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I think what you need is basically a 1 or 2 stage FIFO. A latch holds the value from the DSP until the VCI causes it to be put into the DAC. At that point the DSP is told that it needs to put a new number into the latch.

Reply to
MooseFET

Not for about ten years now. It was when it first came out about say 30 years ago, just not any more. Costs too much area on chip. Almost all kinds of memory in VLSI is now DRAM. 5 to 2 transistor counts between the two amounts to a lot of area and functionality.

Reply to
JosephKK