USB Audio adapterwith 48kHz sample rate.

I'm looking for a USB Audio adapter for a Pi that supports 16bit 48000Hz sampling on its input. It doesn't have to be stereo, a mono line-level input will do fine. Obviously needs to be supported by Linux. If you know of anything that does that please let me know. Bonus points for anyone who knows of such a device that works with a Pi and has Windows

8/10 32bit drivers available as well.

TIA Andy

Reply to
mm0fmf

I have an ion Mixmeister, aka ion U-record, that I use for digitising vinyl disks and cassette tapes. It connects to a standard USB socket and is powered by it. It has a single analogue stereo input with level adjustment and a switch to select MMC or standard line-level input. It should work with any program that can accept digitised audio from the USB connection and write the input to a suitable format audio file (I like FLAC, which offers lossless compression and is accepted by many/most good playback devices). I use Audacity for recording from the ion Mixmeister and editing the input such as splitting the input into tracks, pop removal, etc. Audacity runs on my old Lenovo laptop under Fedora Linux. I also use EasyTag to set the files' EXIF tags to record artist, album and track details: many multimedia players ignore the filename and preferentially display information from the tags. My only use for the filename is so I can put the tracks on order. I store each album in a separate directory and format the filenames along the lines of "nn_trackname.flac" so they'll be in the correct order.

Unfortunately the ion Mixmeister device is no longer sold, but there are a few on Amazon and possibly on eBay too. Other similar devices are still available, just not as many as there were a few years back. Most will do

48KHz sampling and some are switchable to the 44.1 KHz CD sample rate as well.

A search for "external soundcard" will find them priced from a tenner upwards: my Mixmeister was 45 squids from memory: I got it because it was just about cheap enough to sling if it was crap, but it performed as well as my ears could hear, so it never got replaced with anything fancier.

HTH

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

mm0fmf wrotR:

Look for a Behringer UCA202 or UCA222. I have used it with my RP 3. It also works fine on my WIN10 64-bit and WIN7 32-bit machines. The primary drawback is cost, around $30. My use is technical rather than consumer, so it was well worth the cost because of its nearly flat response curves.

--
Alan
Reply to

I neither know nor care about Windows, but a Griffin iMic will get the

Roger Bell_West

Thanks both for your suggestions. My use is for an amateur radio purpose so flat response would be useful. My use case will be Pi based but I know some of my amateur colleagues will want to use Windows hence the interest.

In theory the cheap USB audio units should work, it's just a matter of chosing one with a suitable audio chip. The problem is I've bought enough USB tat from China/eBay to know that what it says in the advert, what it says on the chip and what the chip actually is are often wildly different! If the chip does 48kHz sampling the USB Audio Class drivers will support it, Windows or Linux.

I shall ask Santa to look out for a cheap Behringer and will also buy

should also do 48kHz sampling.

Reply to
mm0fmf