Current Probes

Who sells decent current probes?

I'm looking for a clamp-on current probe. I'm willing to settle for less than stellar accuracy (+/-5% would be close enough), but it has to work down to DC. A range of 0-20A would be sufficient for now, but more is better if I can switch ranges.

A quick perusal of Tucker Equipment sales got lots of hits, at disappointing prices.

TIA.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Tektronix. I have a couple of TCP202s

and they're great. They do use the TekProbe 2 interface, though, so you need the ugly/expensive interface box if you're using them with non-Tek scopes.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

What frequency range?

Reply to
BFoelsch

DC to 100Hz or so is all I need right now. More is always better, but that's what I'd be willing to spend $$ on.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Surf on LEM Current Probes

...Jim Thompson

?sku=52F7511

Marvellous bit of kit. I'm rarely surprised but it did it for me. Really weird to see DC current going in and out of a battery and the same for the individual DC branch currents.

john jardine

Just a hunch: I'll bet the DC measurements on this thing do not involve the clamp-on, but rather some in-line connections.

Seems odd (to me) that the AC frequency range (100Hz to 1000kHz) does not include line frequency, but I suppose there is a reason for it.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

more

same

It's hall effect so just clamp it on as normal. That "100Hz" looks odd to me as well. I'll have a look at the user manual tomorrow. It's mainly used at 50Hz and the readings are identical to other '50Hz rated' AC RMS clamps. Also had it down at 20Hz OK.

john jardine

Make your own fluxgate sensor.

Reply to
Robert Baer

You might try BellNorthWest since you're in the area. The prices seem better than Tuckers and they're just North of the Portland area in Washington.

We just bought one of the older Tek Current Probes. Don't remember the Model number, it's at work.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

less

better

Model

I have several of the Tek model 610 (If I remember the # right). All current probes (clamp on type) that I have researched use Hall sensors for DC. If you only need AC, I suggest going with the CT type. The Tek worked great until we went overcurrent on a test. It destroyed three of our four probes! Fried the Hall sensors. I have not been able to find a replacement for the sensor and Tek support says it's not worth fixing! 3* $600, maybe not worth it to them!!!

Reply to
scada

"scada" wrote in news:e4Pii.786$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

TEK "support" has really slipped in the last 10-15 years. I used to repair P6042 and A6302/6303 current probes while at TEK. (their probe xfmrs were TEK-made,thus costly and not available elsewhere.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The Fluke Y8100 is good from DC-1kHz and is often available at a reasonable price on eBay. It has 20A and 200A ranges.

Reply to
David DiGiacomo

It's in spec' from DC to 100kHz. For some unknown reason it's the frequency counter bit that only starts working at '99.99'Hz.

john jardine