Re: Oscilloscope probes

> Looking through eBay there appear to be a lot of 'scopes > being sold without probes. Is it critical to find probes > specific for a particular 'scope, or can I just pick up > pretty much any kind of probe and expect it to work > without significant deviations in what I see?

The specification of the probes (especially X10) should match the input capacitance of the scope. From that set of probes, select those that have a bandwidth spec at least what you would be looking at 95% of the time, but not more than the scope BW rating (to save $$).

Reply to
Robert Baer

The probe bandwidth needs to be equal to the scope's bandwidth. If you can find a probe that is recommended for the scope, then pick the same specs, you should be OK as long as the connector matches.

Some tektronix probes have an additional pin which carries a signal telling the scope that you have switched on a 10 x attenuator or have hit the ground reference or the identify button.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White

snip

It's okay if the probe's bandwidth exceeds the scope's bandwidth, as long as the probe is comp'ed?

Lance

Reply to
Lance Morgan

Yes, except that as the bandwidth increases, the maximum scope input capacitance it can compensate decreases. So a very high bandwidth probe, such as for a 2465, may not work on an older scope.

Reply to
Robert Morein

OK, this was not a problem when I was buying probes, but good to know. Thanks...

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White

The above link is a very good source for probes.

Reply to
<gavrett

Don't know what you are looking for or the price but this one shows to work and it is 4 channel.

<gavrett
  1. look at the sellers ratings
  2. read the feedback on the seller
  3. Pictures showing it working is a plus.
  4. If seller states it is in full working condition and they have a high approval rating...probably is..

-Gary

Reply to
<gavrett

Tried to inform you via email but as you well know that was not possible.

work

<gavrett

<gavrett

Here is another 4 channel scope like the first one..with a buy it now....

<gavrett

wrote in news:Sf92b.15123$ snipped-for-privacy@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com:

Usually I've a tagline on munging the mail-to. But I just reloaded the newsreader.

That does look pretty good.

I also noticed some scopes by a company called "Kikusui" I believe... "5 channel 12 trace". Trying to find some reviews online for them now. The price is good enough to worry me...

--
----  Remove the "fool-" to email one.
Reply to

I went ahead and purchased that one. Thanks for the heads-up on it.

--
----  Remove the "fool" to email one.
Reply to