(cheap) 'scope probes

Hi,

I rescued a TDS749D and am looking for suggestions for a "cheap" set of probes. I don't use/need a 'scope often (I tend to use a logic analyzer for troubleshooting) so not keen on putting much into this "freebie".

Thx,

--don

Reply to
Don Y

gack! s.b. TDS754D a "cheap" set of probes. I don't use/need a 'scope

Reply to
Don Y

Well they go at about $20 on 'hebay

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Thanks, I may try that! On a hunch, I called back my supplier to see if, perhaps, the probes for the 'scope may have become separated from it (in a bag or box, someplace). This appears to have been a good idea! :> A pair of 6139A's, two 6339A's and two 6249's!!! Can't see using anything day-to-day beyond the

6139A's -- and, may prefer to set them aside as well and spend a couple of dollars (your eBay suggestion) on some cheap ~200MHz probes!
Reply to
Don Y

Feel like parting with the 6249s?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Sorry, Phil... they're small enough to squirrel away in a desk drawer until I need them (if ever!). Had they been something larger and more tedious to store, it would be a different story! (I'm on a downsizing kick)

Reply to
Don Y

No worries. I have a couple of them already, but one looks like it has a blown cap in its bias loop or something--it oscillates at 2 MHz. Not your usual scope probe, in so many ways. ;)

I usually pay about $200-$250 for them on eBay.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Doubt I would ever *buy* one! OTOH, knowing that they're squirreled away in a drawer ("Hmmm... now WHICH drawer was that?") makes it far more likely that I'd use one when the need arose (instead of thinking up a way NOT to need one!)

[Buying online is delightful -- except for the fact that you never end up "coming home" with what you wanted, *now*!]
Reply to
Don Y

I got a dead one for $30, which I'm going to take apart, so that I can copy the layout of the scope end, which has all the pogo pins. Then I'll build a little breakout board so I can use my fave pHEMT/SiGe cascode to make higher impedance ones. Beautiful Layout Hunchback will be underemployed for a couple of weeks, once she and Dashing Firmware Hunchback get the last touches done on the current board. (Their actual job titles are Head Designer and Chief Scientist.) ;)

The five of us are off this evening to visit the World War 1 Western Front battlefields for a week. Should be a great trip--my two younger children have never been there.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

(sigh) I don't envy you! If I'm lucky, I'll make it through the remainder of my life without having to set foot on a plane again! Especially commercial aircraft. :-/

(And, the idea of a boat trip that long "in transit" is one that I can't even begin to fathom :< )

Reply to
Don Y

We had some tthat had some terrible ringing on a 1 mHz square wave. I mean really bad. And the generator and display were confirmed to be good. Cheap ass fifteen buck probes, that's what it was.

jurb6006

Jurb The Clown :

By judging your other posts it is safe to assume you do not know about that adjustment screw. :-) Fuck 1 milli Hertz, and that babbels about old threats. Can you even calculate how long you have to wait for the next ringing?

Reply to
0banana

Maybe he's more concerned about the screws in his head?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.