Clip type DC current probes??

I am a Sunday car mechanic. :-)

What types of probes could I use to measure (to a few percent) the various currents in a car. I think they vary from about 20 mA (clock, alarm) to 500 A (starter). A single probe cannot have a 25000 to 1 dynamic range of course.

I already have a Fluke 87 digital multimeter and a shunt. I am looking for Hall effect probes that I could clip around wires to measure the current. I neither want to disconnect or, worse, cut wires.

What are your suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance.

--
Jean Castonguay
lectrocommande Pascal

isn't bad, though it only goes down to about 1/2 amp, and up to

400A...
Reply to
William P. N. Smith

If you can wrap the wire thru the clamp several times, it may allow you to measure lower currents.

Reply to
JeffM