Seeking low-current (<10A) clamp-on DC current probe

I'm looking for a low-current clamp-on DC current meter to use as a current indicator; anything else that might work as a current/no-current check device would be great as well. The quicker a single check can be performed the better as I'll be checking 30 wires on a regular basis.

I've thought about using LEDs in series but two problems arise. The wires will be moved regularly so I would need wires and strain relief to ensure the LED legs do not break off and more importantly, the voltage across the loads is changed dynamically and is measured inside the power supply. Using one load for sensing is not an option in case of a single failure and approximating the voltage drop will only be okay if all LEDs are guaranteed to be within +/- .1V of each other and have a constant voltage drop throughout use at slightly varying room temperatures and humidities.

Reply to
davidd31415

Not sure exactly what you're doing, but a compass laid on the wire will tell if there's any current in it. You can get one with a "calibrated" dial on it at an auto parts store. Or you can pay as much as you desire for a non-contact DC current meter. I've got a FW Bell CG-100A clamp-on DC current probe I'll sell for $50. Needs external voltmeter for readout. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
mike

A regular clamp probe issn't sensitive enough, (I can buy a kitset one with 100ma sensitivity) jayccar.com.au catalogue number 5368, it'd need some (but probably not much) modification to drive a LED indicator directly.

you can put a loop with ten turns in each wire (which will multiply the current sensed by the clamp probe by 10 if it's clamped on the loop.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts