corn lamp

Krylon acrylic spray works pretty good, too.

Puts them in a plastic box.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Just what would Class A and Class B foams be exactly?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

According to The Great Source of Anonymous Factoids, Class A foam is water plus a surfactant. It's suitable for fighting Class A fires (e.g. fires in paper, wood, and other ordinary flammable materials).

Class B foam is intended for fighting Class B fires (flammable liquids). It uses different sort of surfactants, which (unlike those in Class A foams) can form a film over the surface of various flammable liquids, thus helping contain them and the flammable and explosive vapors that they can form. Some of the Class B foams use proteins as the foaming agents; these are more durable and heat resistant than the simple surfactants in Class A foams.

I suspect that the difference Don sees in the foams' ability to knock down wasps, is due to the differences in the surfactants. If I recall correctly, insect bodies are often covered with a waxy protective cuticle; the Class B foams may have a greater ability to stick to such materials and penetrate the insects' breathing passages.

Dave Platt

Good theing they aren't three phase!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Class A foams are for ordinary combustibles. Class B foams are intended for gasoline and hydrocarbon fires.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

The discussion about types of fire extinguishing foams, surfactants and protein reminded me of stories I heard that Aircraft carrier or airport "fog foam" was made out of blood.

With all of the concerns that have developed about blood born pathogens, have they found a way to neutralize that potential problem or have they found substitutes for blood?

What did they do, just collect cow blood from big slaughterhouses back when it was used for this?

Reply to
Greegor