corn lamp

Like Obama's new gun bans?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

know better."

The city is dead, if that's what you're talking about. One of the three auto makers is doing rather well. The others, well, government and all...

Reply to
krw

Oh, Obama's gun bans can be enforced. Selectively. Even better!

Reply to
krw

horrendous.

know better."

night.

No wonder, what with all those illiterate union drones.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

know better."

Why does Cadillac stick with that tacky 1950's chrome logo? That alone must keep people under 75 from buying.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Around here, we get the mud wasps that plug up anything tubular.

Reply to
Oppie

IIRC this was something called a tent spider, that made enough of a web gob that the dust turned it into mud, and backed up the condensation water all the way up over the edge of the A/C pan, on a humid July day :-(

We have wasps also... recently they tried to make a nest in the kitchen vent hood. Fortunately they didn't get into the house because of the anti-flame mesh filters.

Discovered them when I turned on the blower and there was this pop-pop-pop noise. Went out to check the vent flap and discovered a swarm.

Bug man came, and said, "Don't go outside for awhile, I'm going to make them mad" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

working

I'd stay away from the LEDs for now. CFs are way more efficient especially with an electronic ballast. Another advantage of an electronic ballast is that the CF tubes last about 3 to 4 times longer.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Wow, this justifies the power factor, the thing will pass current in narrow spikes (near the top and bottom of the mains voltage sine ?).

LOL, I mean I understand that edison screw connector is not protected, but once the old lamps are screwed in (incandescent or not) at least there are no live parts exposed, this one is a step backwards. So better disconnect the mains before changing broken corn lamp, or make sure the switch disconnects live wire, and remember what is the off position.

I dont know how is 120Vac 60Hz, but I know the 230V50Hz well, and dont like it :)

--
Muvideo altrove
Fabio Eboli nella vita reale...

Probably. The series caps will soften things a bit.

NOW you tell me. I just changed out an incandescent, live.

120's not bad to touch, just bites a little.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

working

CFs are erratic. Some last for years, some blow up in a few months, one recently blew up the instant I first turned it on.

The Philips lamps are very nice, good color and patterns, something like 90 l/w. LEDs are pulling ahead of CFs. And the LEDs turn on instantly, whereas CFs are slow if it's cold.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

working

recently

I always buy Philips CFLs. Never had any problems.

A good electronic ballast solves that.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Why would an on/off control use a triac? Why wouldn't that work for an LED if it is just off and on?

I don't have any idea what type of on/off controls will work for LEDs. I bought one of the Philips LED bulbs and it wouldn't work with *any* dimmer in the house. The dimmers say they word with *most* LED lamps, the LED lamps say they work with *most* dimmers, but somehow none of mine work together. Sounds like a crock to me.

I'm screwed anyway, I just bought 20 years worth of CFL's at a bargain price of

Reply to
rickman

Wasps are so easy to deal with. I had a nest on my window once. It was one of those nests like they show in cartoons. Being on the glass, it was like looking into an ant farm. The inside of the nest had levels of the type of nests that other wasps make under your porch roof. It got bigger than a football and I could rile them up pretty good by banging on the window frame.

But the county ordered me to take it down. So I went out at night and sprayed it with a hose until it was all down on the ground. They just won't attack at night and don't fly much at all. They mostly sat on the ground.

I've never had a wasp nest I couldn't take down at night with no trouble.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Thanks, I'll take a look. Thing is, I want to get lumen ratings so I have some idea of how bright it will be. ebay is not usually good for that sort of info, but I'll see.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I have a heated toilet seat in the basement. No point in freezing that part of my anatomy. I actually justified buying a router so I could make it. lol

Rick

Reply to
rickman

That entirely depends on how good a grip you get on it!

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Yeah. I knew of a guy standing in waist-deep salt water, drilling a hole in the side of a sailboat with an ungrounded metal-case drill. He died.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Because it costs less than a relay.

Because there is usually no neutral wire, only line is going to the switch box and then on towards the lamp. IOW, just one wire interrupted by the switch. So the electronics have to rely on a little residual current and with the usual CFL or LED there ain't enough when it isn't lit. You can't use earth ground of the box, that would make the installation non-legit.

No surprise there.

"Most" is marketing speak for "maybe" :-)

If you can't return them you are indeed screwed. Just use them in non-dimmed locations. We have them in all bathrooms, hallways, garage, front porch, back porch, and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to