corn lamp

been working

We live in a bucolic part of San Francisco. We have dirt lanes that lead down into Glen Park Village, there's parking on the street, and we have a real canyon with real coyotes and blackberries two blocks away. But yeah, we like to get away to Truckee now and then, where we actually own a measurable fraction of an acre and some trees. I'd hate to live downtown or in the Mission... that's too dense and frantic.

I might get one of those USB spectrum analyzers and a surfboard EMI antenna so I can do open-field tests up there. The spectrum is brickwalled here.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

pay

I paid $10 for one of those damn Philips bulbs and tried it with two dimmers. Won't work on *high* with either one! The dimmed settings are fine. They say it works with *most* dimmers. Just not any that I have. I use the touch dimmers with three settings.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I'm looking for some LED strip lights for a stair well. Any type of lamp I can think of would be in your face either going up or down. I figure a strip would be much more diffuse. But the only one I've found so far is $100 for 15 feet of LEDs and connections/transformer. That's a bit steep.

Costco had CFLs with an instant rebate so that a four or six pack was only a couple/three bucks. I bought the max and have some thirty or forty of the durn things. They seem to be the slow to warm up type (even indoors), so I may get tired of them pretty quick. They were cheap because of a fee the electric company charges to encourage energy conservation. I'm not a fan of this fee, but I might as well get some utilization out of it. Oddly enough, this was in Maryland stores, but you don't have to live in Maryland to get the instant rebate.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I know there are light sensitive lamp bases out there. I've seen them on yard lights for many years. Why can't you just get one and put an LED bulb in it?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I've seen the same dimming technique on Cadillac tail/brake lights. If you scan your eyes across the road a Cadillac tail light makes a series of vertical rows of dots as they blink on and off. It's like one of those toys that write in the air as you wave a stick of LEDs... except the Cadillac doesn't say anything other than, "We're too cheap/stupid to know better."

I find this to border on dangerous as it interferes with vision at night.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

working

the

look to

the

or

limiter

general

doesn't

They better, and fork out the money to replace about 50 feet of chain link fence that it ruined.

I didn't have any lemon juice handy so I sprayed chlorine bleach near it. Even then, it just looked at me.

The light has a pair of spring loaded clamps, and a separate, plug in power supply. The color temperature isn't too bad. I need to dig out my light meter to test the output. I think three or four would do a nice job on the bench, and they don't look too bad for a $5 light fixture w/LED built in. I'll take a few photos after I replace the bad memory battery in my camera. It's a PITA to configure it every time I have to change the main battery.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hello John, everybody, my first message here, watching the first pic of corn lamp, leds pins seem exposed and can be touched while the lamp is working, does the lamp have an isolated power supply inside? I would stick a thermocouple near one of the leds and check the working temperature, that will be a good indication of the expected life :)

Ciao!

--
Muvideo altrove
Fabio Eboli nella vita reale...

been working

I could possibly live in a town as big as Sausalito but preferably not much bigger than that.

So far I did only one full-blown pre-compliance run with the 4.4GHz Signalhound, plus some targeted EMI hunts in the lab. It's a very nice analyzer but slower than others and it's an SDR. The image gets calculated out so it can fail on pulsed stuff. Never bothered me too much though and one can also turn off the image removal (then all signals show up twice). To my surprise it works even on the little Atom netbook.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

been working

But not Sausalito itself! Too many tourists, airheads, and Beautiful People.

I fear that Glen Park is being discovered by tekkies who work down the peninsula. Some brits who work for google are moving in across the street. There goes the neighborhood.

Hmmm, so that's how they avoid the image problem.

I had a Tek SA plugin once (letter series, for the 547) that had zero image rejection. If you turned the frequency pot and a line moved the wrong direction, it was probably an image.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

[...]

Some day all this social network fluff will blow over, then you've got your neighborhood back and real estate prices will show the umpteenth reset. Meantime you can brush up on the Bri'ish accent. Tike some noice red wine oivah theah and meet the new mites :-)

SW image reject works but falls apart if signals are fast-pulsing. That is why it isn't all that accurate with digital TV and similar signals. So I was skeptical at first. The job at hand only required us to make a system EMC proof, we didn't need plots or anything. To my surprise the plots from the EMC lab came back almost verbatim like mine. Except for one peak ... now where the heck did that come from ... turns out they switched a major module to another vendor after my measurements and that was the culprit.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have only seen those for the low voltage Malibu lights. Do you have a link for an example? Something one can get at a typical HW store?

The simple black "in-between" sockets with a triac in there don't work with most LED lamps. Those are just for incandescents.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Only if you're a deer..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Hi, Fabio,

It isn't isolated. The circuit seems to be...

A film cap in each leg of the AC line, one extra resistor in one leg

Bridge rectifier (four diodes!)

4.7u filter cap, electrolytic power resistor LED string

Yes, lots of connections are exposed.

It has a CE sticker!

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

better."

Might be even more annoying if it spelled out cadilac.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

You can find strips on eBay for less than $20

Greg

Reply to
gregz

"Can Electrocute!"

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some guys that I was working with in Oxford, England said it means Can't Enforce.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

better."

Hmm...

Reply to
krw