cool BGA pattern

We have a smaller number of products but more customers for them. We also push out feature upgrades this way. So far we haven't charged for any firmware upgrades, though I think it's a mistake. Some are quite valuable.

Why don't you leave it on the ftp site?

Very interesting indeed. Xilinx has had the hard PPC core for some time, but only on the outrageously expensive Virtex series (used them on the DOD project

- the only ones who can afford them).

Probably negates any savings by going on-chip, too. Hard cores are a better idea than using FPGA fabric, IMO. There are just so many times a small micro is needed that it seems like an obvious match. Apparently people would rather pay for FPGAs than dedicate a tiny sliver of silicon to the processor.

Reply to
krw

We never charge for firmware upgrades, company policy. And if a product has a design bug or manufacturing defect, we'll fix it for free, forever.

As I said, we want to know and control customer configurations. We've only field flashed products a few times, so it's not like Microsoft Update or anything.

My FTP site is limited to 200M I think. It's sort of a freebie.

The last flash update I did, for a digital delay generator, was a 110 kbyte zip file. That included the uP code, the FPGA config, and the Windows flash utility and all the control and HELP files.

Some of the Virtex parts cost $10K!

A little Arm would be nice.

John

Sure, but I'm talking about major functional improvements.

We do both (periodic features and bug fixes). For our direct business, we also have extended service programs for hardware. The stuff is upgraded periodically and those fixes get rolled in to existing customer's boxes. We replaced boards in the base units 18 months ago.

Not hard to believe.

sweep

Yep. The parts I was using were $3K. I thought that was ridiculous (for a stupid color camera) until I found out that the CCDs were $5K each and the prism in front of them was $45K.

Altera has the Cortex-M1 that takes about 2500 LEs. That's kinda expensive real estate, though.

Reply to
krw