Removing Silastic

Hi,

Just hoping someone has done this before. Its not hugely important, but if you know a solution I'd appreciate the help. I have a nice sensor that is covered in silastic (silicone rubber / glue / sealant) even after I have trimmed and scraped it with a knife. Is there an easy way to get this crap off so it can be re-soldered or used in a proto-board?

Reply to
David Eather

McKanica Silicone Caulk Remover from ACE Hardware works around the house... don't know about PCB's. ...Jim Thompson

 Ding Dong! That Wicked Old Witch Pelosi is Dead! Hurrah! Hurrah!

I did at one time remove what looked like Silicone. Not sure what it was, But I knew the device I was removing that crap from and how far I could go with it, I dipped it into turpentine and it soften it enough so that I could brush it away...

But You need to nurse it and only subject the portion you want to remove to the turpentine upside down as you hold it so that it don't absorb to deep. Also, it's wise to do this in a open ventilated area due to the possible reaction that may take place.

Reply to
Jamie

Thanks J and JA. I'l give the turpentine a go (on the part) and if no joy I'm off to the hardware store - I didn't know there was a specific product. Thanks both!

Reply to
David Eather