color organ for bass

Ok so i been lookin all over the net for a lot of stuff related to this. This is what im tryin to do: Hook a light bulb to my stereo so that it lights up to the beats or bass.

Now i dont want 3 channels, just one so i thought of this schematic...

Here come the newb questions... How do i modify this schematic so i only get one channel? And where the heck do i get an 8ohm to 5k ohm transformer, anyway? I got this T106D1 SCR, will it work? Thanks in advance...

Reply to
bungarian

For why do you need to listen to music that should be so bad that you would think it will sound better if a light bulb goes on? If the LSD is not doing it for you then be sure you need a new supplier.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

You get only one channel by eliminating the parts for the other two channels... duhhh Yes, your T106D1 will work just fine in this application. The 5K:8 transformer isn't such a big deal. Since you're not concerned by a large frequency range, a small 6.3V power transformer should work fine. The turns ratio for the 5K:8 transformer is 25:1, and for the 6.3V power transformer, the turns ratio is approximately 19:1. Close enough. A small power transformer will be cheaper than an audio output transformer, so that's what I recommend.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Reply to
DaveM

of course.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Hi.

I designed a digital color organ. I have one that's three channels and one that's six channels. The theory is the same for all channels:

Use a precision half-wave rectifier (use an op-amp) to buffer and half-wave rectify the incomming (line level) signal. Feed that to RC integrators that have different time constants. The filtered, rectified, signals get fed into a comparator. The goal is to create an "averaging" filter with one stage and a similar filter for the other stage, with the idea being to have a slightly higher frequency for the second comparator stage. That way, the average level will get tripped on the pulses of the music (and don't have to be certain frequencies, for example, and works with many different types of music). When the comparator switches, you take its output and drive a power output device, probably through an optocoupler and TRIAC.

If you need a schematic, let me know and I'll convert one that I've done in a different program.

Good luck, Scott

Reply to
Scotty

Leave out the parts for two of the channels. The yellow and green for instance. The transformer doesn't need to be audio quality, a 120 to 5 V power transformer will have the correct turns ratio. It's not very critical, grab any old thing in the junk box, connect the low voltage winding to the speaker output.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to