Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

Hello. The Zinger is a six light alternating and flashing unit. It could ru n either on with varied speeds or connected to a speaker wire or radio outp ut to pulse with the music. I am trying to fix this bedraggled old thing .. . I know, glutton for punishment. Anyhow, the transistor (which is quite to asted) is a Toshiba FIR3D41. I can find no info online about this part or w hat the replacement might be. Based on what it is supposed to do, are there any suggestions for a replacement? It is 120v and the model number is 528. Thanks for any info !

Reply to
naglenz59

It would seem to be an SCR, triac, thyrsistor, or something similar. The 41 looks like a date code or lot number. My guess is the real part number is FIR3D. Looks like they're in Jakarta Indonesia. So, all you need to do is find someone who speaks the language, create an account on: and order the parts.

I've been looking for the data sheet on the FIR3D, but haven't found anything because the phone keeps ringing.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I have a feeling that you will probably need to trace out the circuit and draw a schematic, in order for anyone to figure out the actual requirements.

I suspect that the FIR3D41 code might be either a house number, or a manufacturing date code. I have little doubt that there are compatible parts available today (probably an arm's-length list of them) but without a schematic it's going to be really difficult to select one.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Google translate works well enough in the Chrome browser to decode the Indonesian. I dug through a mess of semiconductor logos and found the "T" logo as possibly belonging to Toshiba. I don't believe it, but that's what it claims: Scroll down to the "T" near the bottom of the page.

The consensus seems to be that it's an SCR.

Looks like the real part number is "FIR 3D". When searching by part number, wrap it quotes.

This might be something similar to your color organ called a "Disco Lamp". It uses an FIR 3D SCR.

Ok, I give up. No data sheet.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

One more "FIR 3D" SCR, also in Indonesia: The page has fields for the specs, but no numbers are supplied. I get the feeling that nobody knows the specs.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

NTE5455 should be suitable.

Reply to
Chuck

Toshiba made an SF1R3D41 - Note '1' , not 'I'.

200V 2A SCR in TO202AB package ('R') - anode center pin

It has a normal (not sensitive) gate ~ 10mA.

"D" is the voltage. (B=100V, G=400V)

This from a xref published in Singapore in 1990 - the only reference I could find, and I've got the Toshiba catalog (where there's no mention of it).

Light 'chasers' were popular in the 70's, along with Disco . . .

You could use a Teccor S2006F1 through S6006F1 (200V -600V) to replace it. Only the physical package is ~ uncommon. Most TO220 types would function, if they could fit.

RL

Reply to
legg