Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

Hello. The Zinger is a six light alternating and flashing unit. It could ru
n either on with varied speeds or connected to a speaker wire or radio outp
ut to pulse with the music. I am trying to fix this bedraggled old thing ..
. I know, glutton for punishment. Anyhow, the transistor (which is quite to
asted) is a Toshiba FIR3D41. I can find no info online about this part or w
hat the replacement might be. Based on what it is supposed to do, are there
 any suggestions for a replacement? It is 120v and the model number is 528.
 Thanks for any info !

Re: Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

<https://m.bukalapak.com/p/elektronik/komponen-elektronik/7ospx4-jual-scr-fir-3d-fir3d
It would seem to be an SCR, triac, thyrsistor, or something similar.
The 41 looks like a date code or lot number.  My guess is the real
part number is FIR3D.
<https://www.bukalapak.com/products/s/scr-fir3d-fir
Looks like they're in Jakarta Indonesia.  So, all you need to do is
find someone who speaks the language, create an account on:
<https://www.bukalapak.com
and order the parts.

I've been looking for the data sheet on the FIR3D, but haven't found
anything because the phone keeps ringing.

Re: Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

I have a feeling that you will probably need to trace out the circuit
and draw a schematic, in order for anyone to figure out the actual
requirements.

I suspect that the FIR3D41 code might be either a house number, or a
manufacturing date code.  I have little doubt that there are
compatible parts available today (probably an arm's-length list of
them) but without a schematic it's going to be really difficult to
select one.

Re: Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

Google translate works well enough in the Chrome browser to decode the
Indonesian.  I dug through a mess of semiconductor logos and found the
"T" logo as possibly belonging to Toshiba.  I don't believe it, but
that's what it claims:
<https://how-to.fandom.com/wiki/How_to_identify_integrated_circuit_ (chip)_manufacturers_by_their_logos/P-T>
Scroll down to the "T" near the bottom of the page.

The consensus seems to be that it's an SCR.
<https://mufarielectronic.wordpress.com/2012/05/23/scr-fir3d/
<https://www.tokopedia.com/d21r/scr-fir3d-thyristor-fir3d
<https://salinsalim.wordpress.com/category/rancangbangun/

Looks like the real part number is "FIR 3D".  When searching by part
number, wrap it quotes.

This might be something similar to your color organ called a "Disco
Lamp".  It uses an FIR 3D SCR.
<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/wSrxp_Q_mSt7_CqPeIAkqe0Yn3TcqQY_CvGk3mxyQwkqZh9BnIyu6oM3eUpAHh7vRvZy7pPf86BOtMdnQICRiCXo7uqU_OOnlmhMB4DUI4mYz4mnxrErphlUD9aJdcp7fQ=s412

Ok, I give up.  No data sheet.

Re: Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

One more "FIR 3D" SCR, also in Indonesia:
<https://indo-ware.com/produk-2968-fir3d.html
The page has fields for the specs, but no numbers are supplied.  I get
the feeling that nobody knows the specs.

Re: Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

NTE5455 should be suitable.

Re: Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

Toshiba made an SF1R3D41 - Note '1' , not 'I'.

200V 2A SCR in TO202AB package ('R') - anode center pin

It has a normal (not sensitive) gate ~ 10mA.

"D" is the voltage. (B10%0V, G40%0V)

This from a xref published in Singapore in 1990 - the
only reference I could find, and I've got the Toshiba
catalog (where there's no mention of it).

Light 'chasers' were popular in the 70's, along with Disco . . .

You could use a Teccor S2006F1 through S6006F1 (200V -600V)
to replace it. Only the physical package is ~ uncommon.
Most TO220 types would function, if they could fit.

RL

Site Timeline