LED Color Organ Circuit

Greetings to all -

I am designing a device that uses 7 modules of colored LED's that will be used for a specific purpose for a client. As part of that design, my client wants to be able to modulate these 7 modules with sound - voice, music, etc. (Either by microphone or low level input from a music source). By "modulate" I mean the intensity of illumination of each 6 LED module would vary in sync with the volume level of the music - within each specified bandwidth of any channel's frequency. As is Low - Medium and High frequency bands.

I have found several schematics on the Internet labeled as "color organs" but most are only one or two channels - and virtually all use SCR's to modulate Line Voltage to control incandescent lamps. Does anyone have - or can anyone point me to where I can find at least a 4 channel schematic - that could be adapted to each channel controlling a cluster of 6 LED's?

I would be very grateful for any information anyone here could supply. Very best regards....... Don H

Reply to
LightBoy

Dear Petrus,

Thank you for your suggestions. It does look as if I will have to follow your advice. I was just hoping that someone had already done something like this before and posted it somewhere - so I wouldn't have to start at that level. I was directed by another form to a circuit with 6 channels - using a PIC - that's intriguing, but then I'd have to get into PIC programming. Not sure I want to get into that yet - but I might.

Thank you again for your kind response.... Don H

Reply to
LightBoy

"LightBoy" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Well Don,

Seems like you have to do some designwork on your own. Cannot be that difficult. You only need a bunch of OpAmps and maybe some transistors. No need to connect LEDs to the mains so an 18-24V power supply will do. One non-inverting amplifier to obtain the required signal level. Set of active filters to split the frequency range in the bands you need and a amplifier or transistor for each band to drive the LEDs. I have no source at hand for calculating the filters but a google for "active filters" or "active audio filters" will give you plenty of hits.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Hasn't anyone suggested you go to google search and search for "color organ"?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise