What type of bulb to use with my color organ ?

I'm making a kind of light tower with 2" clear acrylic rod (3x 6' tall), and putting lights underneath that'll be plugged into my color organ to react to music.

I'm reading led bulbs are either on or off (true for all?) - obviously not giving the same visual effect as a regular bulb getting brighter/ darker. So, what might be another option to light up the towers ? Only thing I can think of is just buying or making color incandescent light bulbs (red/green/blue), but I think led's would be the way to go if possible.

Reply to
sku_dave

On Feb 3, 9:50=A0pm, sku_dave wrote: > I'm making a kind of light tower with 2" clear acrylic rod (3x 6' > tall), and putting lights underneath that'll be plugged into my color > organ to react to music. >

LEDs can be controlled quite well by regulating the current which can be done by PWM or with an analog current source. See page 10 of

I used a Burr-Brown Operational Transconductance Amplifier to drive an LED from nearly off to full brilliance at 30 MHz for testing photo sensors for a telecine (film to video). The linearity ramp was also excellent.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear enough. I'm wondering how these -

will react to lower than 120v

Reply to
sku_dave

On Feb 3, 10:35=A0pm, sku_dave wrote: > > LEDs can be controlled quite well by regulating the current which can > > be done by PWM or with an analog current source. See page 10 of >

Well, it says it works well with dimmers. Isn't that what a color organ is? An audio driven lamp dimmer? OK you do band separation but it's still a fancy light dimmer at its core.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

Well I guess I totally missed that, good point. Hopefully it works out ! Thanks.

Reply to
sku_dave

You buy color bulbs. A limited selection is available at the local hardware store, but a dedicated lighting store is likely to have more colors.

Smaller color organs could get by with Christmas tree bulbs, the old kind that run directly off 120VAC.

If you can't find enough or the right colored bulbs, then you put regular incadescent spotlights behind color filters (available at stores that sell theatre lighting).

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

LED "bulbs" or LEDs? LEDs can certainly be driven at any level between dark and as bright as they go, simply by providing an appropriate drive current. LED "bulbs" designed to replace incandescent bulbs may or may not be dimmable, depending on the circuit used in the "bulb".

Ecnerwal

You can PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) the LED's , that'll give you the luminance effects you are looking for. Of course, You need a PWM modulator circuit for that.

When you're ready for that stage, just ask.

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie