Cold testing

Standard immersion cooling in chemistry labs is acetone-dry ice for ~-80C or so.

If you're going to be doing much cold testing, dry air is a definite plus. Typical methods are cooling the air, condensing the water (dehumidifier), compressing it to increase the partial pressure (air compressor), adsorbing it (molecular sieves, silica gel) or reacting with it (dessicants of a wide variety, with calcium chloride being very common).

Tim

OK, Dry air would work fine too. He might rig up something to pass the air through some filter (molecular sieve?) in contact with the dry ice before it goes into a box with the electronics in it... though this is starting to become complex.

If the box holding the electronics could be air tight, then the small amount of water in there may not be a problem... maybe some cold finger that chills first and sucks up all the water vapor. (a sort of a getter?)

George H.

Reply to
Tim Williams

or

I've heard you can also use isopropyl alcohol and dry ice. (But have no experience with either.) I've also heard that methyl and ethyl alcohol turn to taffy a -75C.

Someday I'll have to get some dry ice and play.

George H.

.

ng

de

Reply to
George Herold

It's shiny side out, I believe.

Reply to
JW

low

I wonder if you could something similar to "Sous-vide" ?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I just picked up a 1/2 watt Stirling cryocooler and driver. The guy has more of them. Data sheet says unloaded with the head in a vacuum,

55 C. As in 55'C above absolute zero.

How's that for component test :-)

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts

We do not need a seminar, John.. And certainly not one from a Dunning-Kruger afflicted dork like you.

Reply to
WoolyBully

You're a goddamned retard. Especially for spouting this horseshit twice in the same post.

Reply to
WoolyBully

parts

below

CO2

source of

but

thermometer

shut it

the

low

can

assume

all

SMT

It is possible to buy LN generators but the capital costs are like $$$$$.= =20

=46or most reasonable situations a CO2 temp chamber and a few CO2 bottles may end up best (mid $$$$). But you get real lab grade stuff.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

below

CO2

of

but

thermometer

it

the

=20

there..

I can be very good for low flows. Both popular kinds can be "regenerated/refreshed" by bake out.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

from

below the DUT

CO2 did a poor

outfitted for LN

either case

What the heck, it is only about 1/2 years income.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

of=20

Works fine in some OSs, not in others.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

the assembly's heatsinks.

I simply attached the TC to the board where I wanted the info. The board was powered from 120VAC, but there were no conduction problems through the frost. I was delighted.

John

Reply to
John S

the DUT

a poor

outfitted for

either case

driven

Drool.. The Tenney TUJR is the most attractive, "reasonable" cost and not too big. Delta has smaller ovens; used them in industry, available to use LN2 or CO2 for cooling but the cost is far higher from what i have seen.

Snooping around at Target, found the smallest so far for $50 which is in my pocketbook range (will use it once or twice in a year at most); uses TE coolers with heat sink outside, possible fan. "Specs" say will cool 18C below ambient which is crappy compared with that other cooler that went to -25C region and implication could go lower. And coolers have the problem in keeping the air dry. Almost better off in using my toaster oven.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Dern! Guess my best bet is to see if i can outsource temp testing.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, so far i have lied, am now set to AZ (-0700) with clock then re-done to local. But..i think you have the clue..hardware RTC. How do i view / set that?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hmm..or South Pole.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hmm..that blue one just might fit in the closet and not wrinkle any cloths.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Parts themselves are about the size of a thumb. But the moisture will kill measurements; voltage and temp at same time as part warms up is prolly best way to go. $500 is way too much. Have a few ice chests now..one way larger than needed; got it new for $10; made a smaller version from solid foam packing material (cost zero); have more of that packing material for playing around.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Sit there.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That makes it an "almost" in the source of LN or CO2 is extremely impracticable. Seems outsourcing is the next thing to consider.

Reply to
Robert Baer