OT: Nervewrecking; Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover Animation

Some feat if they pull this off:

Notice they don't talk about farenheit anymore, now it's degrees, is the world coming to an end? :-)

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Nice, thanks. So much cooler than the ISS. I hope it makes it to the ground in one piece.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Mon, 25 Jun 2012 03:47:32 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Klaus Kragelund wrote in :

Some remarks, for WIIW: NASA: has never been the same since toysrus bought it. Will they have communication during decent so they know why it smashed to pieces? Its better than airbags, but still.... Not a &^*&^ martian in sight, long trip for nothing. Hollywood has real aliens in their animations. Just before the end my screen blanker came in, are they ready for that? It should SAY something, like: "Hi, I am from earth". [If] I found something like that in my garden, the wheels came in handy, now those martians hitting them with lasers could be taken for a declaration of war. It is primitive, no sample return, no take off, Von Braun's came back from the moon with stines. goto NASA

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

pieces?

war.

moon with stines.

Japan, Russia, ESA, and the USA have launched Mars landers. All non-NASA landers failed.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That means, that it is now very likely for them to fail... The landing mechanism looks tricky and complicated. I guess it'll smash into the ground. just needs a flaw in the control loop.

Reply to
Johann Klammer

Interesting that they don't show what happens to the lander rocket that zips off into the distance. Maybe they are afraid of being sued by Martians for littering if they show it being ditched into some canyon.

Probably the next nation ever to get up there will find ... a McDonald's :-)

In my aerospace work absolutely everything is in imperial units. Except temperatures. When we test stuff that is usually done in Centigrades.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

My biggest disappointment while playing tourist one weekend in Germany... walking thru Rothenburg ob der Tauber, a McDonald's.

(Though I must admit I did find it useful... buy a cup of coffee with a $20 bill and get change back in D-Marks... no exchange fee ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I was standing in front of that very same McDonalds a long time ago. A sergeant from the US Army walked up at the same time and said to me "Can you believe it? They put a McDonalds into this historic town? This is disgusting!"

Not sure why but somehow he automatically assumed that I do speak English. Neither of us blessed them with our business.

Yeah, but I still try to avoid them. By far the best franchise chain for burgers is IMHO the "Black Bear Diner". Plus they have good beer, at least the one in Willows does. They've got five places in AZ.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The closest to me is about 20 miles.

When I have a need for a burger that I'm not grilling myself (*) I go to a local Bar and Grill called Keegan's, right here in Ahwatukee Foothills... high quality beef. (McDonalds' products are like an inert gas, odorless and tasteless :-)

(*) We grind our own beef (and pork) from roasts. Shape, freeze into

4oz patties and then into ziplock bags; also prep 3/4# for meatloaf, etc. ...Jim Thompson

Ah yeah, when we want a burger its just a matter of grabbing the three'o and nailing a crittur wipe its bum and slam it on the barbie :-0

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Five Guys is pretty good, as is CheeseBurger CheeseBurger. Don't know about beer, though.

Reply to
krw

We do PC boards and sheet metal in inches/mils. Any real scientific-type calculations are in MKS.

Try doing thermal calcs in units like Btu/(hr · ft · F)

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

In-n-Out is pretty good. Especially if you know what to ask for. But no beer.

Zeitgeist has had pretty good burgers lately. Zuni Cafe, a couple of blocks away, has a fabulous burger for $15. Shoestring fries not included.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Joerg schrieb:

Hello,

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is about 1000 years old, Nürnberg is about the same age, but Weißenburg and Köln are nearly 2000 years old. If there should be no McDonalds in a historic german town, there would be a lot of german towns with no McDonalds. Lübeck, Wismar....

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Depends on how many slugs of mass one is dealing with :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Ok, but some parts of some towns are just not that pretty, no matter how old. But Rothenburg is. They should not even allow fluorescent or LED advertizing signs there. On the outskirts, ok, but not in the historic town. Just imagine: You'd walk into Schloss Neuschwanstein and then there's a Burger King inside.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I was in a picaresque town in Vermont with a few good restaurants. People said there had been a McDonald's but it closed for lack of interest.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I had a 'burger' there for the first time since I was a kid. The bun literally fell apart the way a decayed mummy breaks apart in a movie.

I don't have a grinder, but sometimes I slice a tender steak thin and cut into smaller pieces (about 2 inches) and mix with ground beef to give it a chew. You can also grind meat coarsely in a food processor to get a kind of ground beef you can bite into.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Sounds like Newport. VT is the only state without a Micky-Ds in its capitol city. They wouldn't let them open one. The state is run by crazies.

Reply to
krw

I love the air conditioning efficiency unit of measure, the SEER (BTU/Wh).

Reply to
krw