Climate of Complete Certainty

And "his" book on the subject - "The Art of the Deal" - was ghost-written.

Trump doesn't seem to have the attention span to write a paragraph, let alone a book.

He likes Twitter because he can keep focused for long enough to string together up to 280 characters. Apparently, he still seems to be confining himself to the old 140 character limit, which might say something about his attention span.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:
:

ote:

working.

o!"

, he was

akes

..),

ll

That expression is not Chinese and is, perhaps, somewhat racist in its original intent from the 1930s:

Do try to research your expressions, one can make assumptions if one doesn't check every now and then...

The expression is certainly valid as a curse, it just has nothing to do with China. I had thought so too until I dug into it after a writer I respect (John Scalzi) exposed the myth behind it.

sn't know enough to notice the down-side of being lead by somebody who is almost as ignorant as he is, and equally unwilling to get his head aroun d an understanding any model of the world that is complicate enough to be useful.

Bashing people rather than explain where you differ in your perspective is usually counterproductive. I don't agree with John Larkin's politics,

but I try to expose him to my perspective rather than simply denigrating

him.

(donning my flame suit)

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Fiasco describes a situation accurately, is not name-calling. This 'legally elected president' is thought by over 50% of the legally elected representatives of his nation to be a criminal, but less than 2/3. That means something important, and the meaning is not 'winner'.

Reply to
whit3rd

That his opponent still had 3 million more popular votes in a race against an admittedly divisive and relatively unpopular Democratic candidate doesn't bode well given that the senator from Vermont, a highly popular candidate with those all-important celebrity endorsements, even from Joe Rogan, seems to be cleaning up in the primaries (to the establishment Democrat's once-again shock and dismay.)

Trump may have to call in some of those new the-President-can-do-no-wrong-powers he's been granted by the Senate if he wants to pull this one out.

I don't know how to apply the old saw "Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill" when both participants are in their 70s and the treacherous one is the younger.

Reply to
bitrex

:
:

ote:

working.

o!"

, he was

akes

..),

ll

sn't know enough to notice the down-side of being lead by somebody who is a lmost as ignorant as he is, and equally unwilling to get his head around an understanding any model of the world that is complicate enough to be usefu l.

Why don't you go off and design an interesting electronic circuit?

I'm perfectly happy to explain why my perspective differs, and have been kn own to change my ideas in response to other peoples explanations.

John Larkin is fixed in his views, and totally incapable of realising that quite a few of them are demonstrable nonsense.

He's been like that for the twenty years I've been posting here, and while it took me quite a while to lose patience with him, I'm now afraid that his status as our most prolific poster is damaging the quality of what gets po sted - because quite a lot of what he posts is dangerous nonsense.

His admiration for Trump is merely foolish. His gullible acceptance of clim ate change denial is rather more dangerous.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ote:

e:

orking.

"

he was

,

I mostly keep up with events on the internet, which makes it easy to check what is and is not true. For example, I'll read the news coverage, then watch video of the president making a statement, and marvel that the coverage isn't anything like what was actually said. It's amazing. Orwellian.

Deficit spending eventually destroys a country. But we can't blame the president. The president's policies have raised more revenues, but the House of Representatives sets the spending, and they insist on spending it all and more.

Revenues are up under the new tax rules, not down. Booming economy and companies repatriating have added overall revenue. But the Dems wanted more welfare, and the Repubs weren't averse to spending in their states, either.

I heard a good piece today pointing out that the president's budget request promotes fiscal restraint, which the Congress insists on larding up with gimmedats.

But no one's backed him on it, so there's been no point in the prez going after the deficit -- it's a losing battle. A second term sans witch hunts might include that fight.

Which leaves us here: Dems always wanting to spend much more is a given, so if Repubs won't fight for fiscal sanity, insanity shall prevail.

America's a pretty nice country, a beacon of hope and freedom. The world would be a much worse place without it. It sure would be a shame to have world-wide freedom and self-rule collapse in a fiscal conflagration, just because some pointy-headed People Who Know Better couldn't live within our means.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Since when? It's been making absurd predictions for about 50 years now. The West Side Highway is still above the waterline. Crop production keeps improving. Deaths from major climate/weather events are way, way down. The planet isn't dying, it's greening.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

As Phil says, if it has "Science" in its name, it isn't one.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Was he rich? Maybe on a General's salary.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Well, vote against him.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

A guy was killing lots of our guys, so we killed him instead.

The math ain't that complicated.

It's not like, for example, promoting all the wrong people in an Arab 'Spring' that set that whole part of the world on fire, producing the largest mass migration of refugees fleeing their homelands in world history, and possibly destabilizing Europe.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Climate change/global warming is one, about 30 years old now. It's a pretty big one, how could you have missed it?

Reply to
whit3rd

The lefty press like to insert "debunked" and "unproven" every chance they get. There must be a mandatory list of insults with a daily quota for the NYT, CNN, NPR reporters.

People do notice this. It makes some mad. It shows up in turnout.

With the US mostly divided into two tribes who are about as rational as soccer fans, turnout is what will matter.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Probably not a billionaire (didn't exist yet) or equivalent but I doubt he struggled to put food on the table on whatever pension Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force paid after returning to civilian life.

Reply to
bitrex

Trump seems to have mostly bullied other speculators and finance-types for a living, the goal seemingly to be the biggest bully in a room of bullies.

Sounds like a logical strategy when dealing with lawyers, speculators, and finance-types I can't really argue with that, often have to speak a language they understand.

Doesn't have a lot to do with sales, though. Outside of real-estate hustling Trump seems to have regularly experimented with actual sales and marketing of tangible goods direct to consumers like airline service, vodka, steaks, mortgages, and home furnishings, nearly all of which aside from his hotel/resort chains seem to have been pretty big fails.

Most entrepreneurs experience failures it comes with the territory of trying to do anything but rarely so consistently while still remaining a household name

Reply to
bitrex

ote:

working.

o!" at the Republican Party and by the time they changed their pants, he wa s the nominee. "Insane Clown President" covers this....

kes

.),

Unfortunately for James Arthur, he's a much better example of Orwellian dou ble-think than he seems to realise. When the news doesn't present reality t he way he wants them to, he's happy to accuse them of distorting reality, w hen the real problem is that they don't see what's going on from his bizarr e point of view.

Why not? Republicans always cut taxes more than they should, and Trump ough t to have had more sense than to go along with them, but Republican preside nts never take balancing the budget as seriously as romancing their richer supporters.

Not because of the new tax rules, excerpt perhaps from the new tariffs whic h rip off the consumers who end up paying them

Which companies have repatriated anything? They've mostly moved from China to other low wage nations.

ng in

The Democrats have worked out that adequate welfare pays off in the long te rm. It hasn't hurt the Swedish economy, and there the children of single mo thers do just as well as the children of couples.

Trump is great on public relations. Less effective at getting anything usef ul to happen.

The Republican's sham enthusiasm for fiscal restraint doesn't extend to ba lancing the budget.

If you are in the part of the population that has an income in the top 1% o f the income distribution.

It unique selling point amongst advanced industrial countries is it's very high level of income inequality, which seems to be associated with low life expectancy, expensive health care that doesn't serve the bulk of the popul ation particularly, and a host of social problems that correlate with incom e inequality on a US state to US state basis to much the same extents as th e correlate between advanced industrial countries.

James Arthur seems to have spent enough time in right-wing de-education pro grams to be immunised against this kind of exposition of inconvenient facts .

At the moment the pointy-headed top 1% of the US income distribution - who do very well out of the USA as it is - are spending loads of money to keep it running in the way that suits them. The country's capacity to train able people and take advantage of the innovations that they might come up with is going down the tubes, but the Republicans don't care - the people taht o wn the country are governing the country in a way that seems to them to wor k to their short-term advantage.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And his replacement is going to be more restrained?

Sadly, you aren't dong the right math.

The Arab Spring was driven by Arab leaders who couldn't see that it was important to keep their populations fed.

No amount of foreign intervention - short of shipping lots of cheap food - would have helped, and no Republican could have countenanced that.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

rote:

t working.

oo!"

s, he was

akes

..),

James Arthur and John Larkin don't seem to members of the more rational fra ction.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If you've got to say you are a lady, then you ain't :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There is no *PROOF* in any of the sciences.

Only disproof when an existing law, hypothesis or conjecture is found to no longer predict accurately what happens in particular circumstances.

Science is a game of successive approximation to reality with nature being the final arbiter of what is correct and what is not. We become more certain of things enough to call them laws of physics the longer and more comprehensively that they have been tested and work. But you can never be certain that in some extreme case they might break down.

If you design an experiment that breaks the current prevailing paradigm wide open you typically get a Nobel prize pretty quickly.

If you want proof then you are in the realm of mathematics. Even then you have to explicitly state your starting axioms since useful things can stem from violating some of the ancient basic classical axioms.

Non-Euclidean geometries and tensor calculus for instance which make relativity much easier to work with. There is an interesting correlation between new mathematics development and novel theoretical physics. It remains to be seen whether or not string theory is one of those moments.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown