Clicky keyboards?

Anyone know what's happened to pckeyboards.com? I'm looking for another (couple) of buckling spring USB keyboards but they seem to have gone under.

Reply to
krw

r.

Try these guys:

John Miles, KE5FX

beryl

Do these "buckling spring" keyboards have a tactile "give" when they click ? I really miss the keyboard I had in the 1980s that had that feel. It took me quite a while to get used to a laptop keyboard and I like my Macbook pro keyboard OK, but I'd like to try getting a keyboard like I used to have with the old PC (maybe it was IBM PC ?) many years ago. Yeah, I seem to remember the old IBM PC having somewhat of that tactile feel as well... The audible click was just because of the spring I think. Tha name "buckling spring" sure sounds like what I am thinking of...

boB

(Washington, AC)

Reply to
boB

Yes, these were used by IBM in the "Model-M" keyboards in the PS/2s. This keyboard is a Unicomp (A.K.A. pckeyboard.com) and is just like a PS/2 keyboard, except that it's USB. I want a couple more.

Reply to
krw

Thanks. That wasn't coming up a couple of days ago.

Reply to
krw

They were called Unicomp for awhile--are they gone too?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

takes you to KSI, which is different. It seems the WWW has been on holiday (or my name server has been acting up again). "beryl", above, pointed to the correct site and all is working now.

Reply to
krw

FWIW, I used to buy Belkins at five bucks a pop, but they seem to have gone by the wayside...

In the mid-1980's, I wrote a DOS TSR to make a click on key closure because of those stupid silent keyboards.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I need the feel more than the sound.

Reply to
krw

Unicomp is pckeyboard.com

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

It was "pckeyboard.com" I believe... no "s" on the end?

They're now selling via

The "

" site redirects there. Looks alive and well

Yes, they do indeed, and that's why I like them so much. I grew up in an era of crunchy electromechanical keyboards (Teletype ASR-33, etc.) and I've never really gotten used to the modern low-tactile-feedback Hall-switch keys.

Bingo.

Unicomp bought up the rights to the IBM buckling-spring keyboard design, and the Unicomp keyboard sold under the "pckeyboard.com" name do have the same crunchy feel.

I have an original IBM Model M "mini" keyboard here at work, as well as a Unicomp I bought about five years ago. Everybody in the nearby cubes can tell when I'm working, from the key-clacking :-)

Dave Platt

The Unicomp folks are actually the same outfit that used to be IBM Lexington. IIRC there was an employee buyout to prevent them closing the doors.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, I know. There was a problem getting to their site for a while. It's cleared up now.

Reply to
krw

Cyber Monday server overload problems?

Michael A. Terrell