chopamps

If you bend it, yes. Sheet metal shears that cut without bending are probably fine. (Those ones use three blades, and cut a 3/16-inch ribbon out of the sheet as they go along, so the bending moments cancel out.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Seem like it should be avoided, if possible. On the other hand, if there is just one horse in the stable, you go with it.

Thanks Phil

Reply to
John S

Mu metal is great stuff, if you can do the hydrogen anneal. Otherwise mild steel is usually the best bet.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 14:05:27 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Ahhh... a chopamp can chopper. I knew someone made those.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I have an 'Ironton' brand electric model from Harbor Freight. Clunky but functional.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

boards in the hundreds per year? Companies that take care of PCB fab, stuffing, maybe some testing or even box assembly.

Hmm, Creation Tech in San Jose might be of use? I forget if they're more production or proto, actually. They have lots of cells, though.

Disclaimer: I do layout work for them. :)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Thanks, Tim. They do seem to fit the bill plus this client is in Texas and they've got a site there:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Do circular saw cuts degrade mu metal?

TIA.

--
 ,-.                              There was a young lady named Bright
 \_/                              Whose speed was far faster than light;

I've never measured it. Probably so, in the deformed zone near the cut, especially if it gets hot. The repeated shock from the teeth impacting may also hurt the mu.

It's delicate stuff, but works wonders when used intelligently.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The saw blade shouldn't be "impacting" the edge. It should be cutting the metal. If it's getting very hot it's probably abrading the metal, which won't go on very long before the blade fails.

Reply to
krw

If you have some nonzero feed rate, an N-tooth blade impacts the surface N times per revolution. Not rocket science.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A saw blade can be said to be "cutting smoothly" if it's got more than one tooth in the cut at a time (the usual metalworker's rule of thumb is to have 2 or 3 -- more and it's too slow, fewer and it's too rough). You'd have to have a magnificently fine sawblade to cut the thickness most mu metal comes in. Most common blades (say in the

Reply to
Tim Williams

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 19:00:08 -0700 (PDT), Phil Hobbs Gave us:

I prefer a Dremel with the little 'concrete' cutting disc in it.

And no, it does not take the metal anywhere near the curie point.

All one needs do is progress slowly.

You know, like krw's brain has all his life. He has like four firing neurons now. That's up from two after his mom dropped him on his head getting his flailing arm retarded ass out of the high chair one day when he was 5.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Metal cutting proceeds (usually) by forming a chip, deforming the metal and doing work (heating) on it, so the chip curls up and goes away... and that chip, while still attached to the bulk material, will stretch it a bit.

Abrasion (as in water-jet cutting) might be much less stressful on the metal left behind.

Reply to
whit3rd

Do you consider peeling an orange "impacting" the orange? The point is that there isn't (or shouldn't be) any significant shock to the remaining metal.

Reply to
krw

No, it should be cutting the metal, not punching it. I haven't cut mu-metal but aluminum cuts very nicely on a table saw. I have a few miter gauges with some real pretty cuts that show just how well. :-(

Water jet, sure , because it's being cooled. A grinding (cut-off) wheel, probably not.

Reply to
krw

Mu metal gets damaged by dropping it on the floor from waist level, even with no visible dings whatsoever. It's very delicate stuff.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 08:09:02 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

What do they call that? Domain tossing?

Oh wait... that's what the cops (PIGs) do when they raid a citizen's house!

You tosser!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's actually called flux pinning, due to dislocations. If you hit a piece of metal and it rings, probably you haven't made any dislocations. If you hit a piece of metal and it clunks (or thuds), probably you have made dislocations. Mu metal is a thud producer.

Reply to
whit3rd

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 10:26:24 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd Gave us:

The Egyptians could carve a monolithic column from mere sandstone and it would make a resonant ring whenever one struck it with a wooden mallet. Tons of 'tuned' sandstone. Amazing.