Chinese spammers...

I used to delete all Chinese spam, they are trying to peddle this or that electronic component or gadget.

But I found a more fun thing to do. I am now sending them link to this wikipedia article (I believe it is censored in China).

Sending them a pdf can be fun, too, so they can compare their blank page with the pdf.

I'm thinking about adding Taiwan and Tibet to the list.

TheM

I send complaints via their website and to Google. I get some interesting replies. but mostly like, WHAT ?

greg

Reply to
GregS

A complete waste of time. These are CRIMINAL entities.

A complete waste of time. As long as Google gets page hits, THEY DON'T CARE. Their automated system will cancel *that* account name. It takes the spammer a nanosecond to switch to a new account.

The only effective non-passive anti-spam tactic I've seen is to contact the Posting Host of a spammer. THIS HAS **ZERO EFFECT** WITH *ANY* ENTITIES INSIDE RED CHINA.

I've never seen any evidence that Chinese spammers and their providers are anything but asshats.

The only effective tactics I can imagine WRT Chinese spammers are to sever the pipes coming out of Red China and/or to sever the pipes coming out of Google facilities.

JeffM

Jeez. Get a grip. Or, just run a local NNTP server and filter on all googlegroup messages that originate in one of several subnets that are the source of most of the .cn spam. Works great, they go right to the bit-bucket and never show up in my newsreader.

Similar process for all of the

postings. Stick the URL in a filter and it doesn't matter what the subject or from lines say, it goes bye-bye. Big help for the SNR...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

What does "...just run a local NNTP server..." mean?

Proxy server like NewsProxy? Or is there some other way to have your own NNTP server?

...Jim Thompson

Rich Webb wrote:

8-)

..but, OTOH, using the Google Groups search engine to try to find something you *know* exists has become an exercise in frustration. Back in 2003, it wasn't such a big deal

--then all the idiots discovered Port 80 access and Google's game plan **encouraged** their abuse. This has turned a useful tool into a steaming pile.

The local S/N improvement doesn't help in the instance I cited.

Reply to
JeffM

Anybody can install and run their own NNTP server. NNTP clients (newsreader/poster programs) and servers use exactly the same protocol to talk among one another... they all use NNTP!

It's possible to run a full-fledged NNTP server (e.g. B-News or C-News) on a PC-class machine. However, there are smaller servers which are better suited for "leaf" use (e.g. where you're getting all of your inbound news from one or two other sites, where you originate only a limited number of news articles, and where you don't act as a transit site i.e. you don't automatically offer all the articles you get from site A out to site B, and vice versa).

One popular package for such "leaf" use is, by no amazing stretch of the imagination, called "leafnode". I run it myself, and it works very nicely indeed. Among its features:

- Reasonably effective filtering. I've got mine configured to drop all articles originating on certain wide-open and anonymous servers, and to drop articles by certain posters or from certain IP address ranges. I never see 'em.

- It enables and disables fetching of newsgroups automatically, based on the reading habits of the user(s) who subscribe to it. If I subscribe to a new newsgroup, all I'll see is a "placeholder" article... but less than an hour later it'll have downloaded the most recent few hundred articles in that newsgroup from my primary server. If I stop reading a newsgroup, it'll "notice" the inactivity after about a week and stop fetching new articles.

I used to run a full-fledged local news server, but Leafnode has been so trouble- and maintenance-free that I no longer bother.

Dave Platt

Dave Platt wrote:

Both of those guys are already there. Thompson runs NewsProxy (nFilter); Webb runs Hampster. JT is just befuddled by the way the term was used (perhaps thinking it was dedicated hardware??).

You have added the third big name in the genre.

Reply to
JeffM

Yup. OTOH, a "real" server is possible without too much effort. It would be quite useful for folks stuck behind firewalls that block port 119 to put up a home news server on an old laptop that listened for an NNTP dialog on port 80.

Thought about doing that after the local IT crowd got their fancy new firewall software that blocked almost everything by default.

;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

"Jim Thompson" skrev i meddelelsen news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Leafnode f.ex. -

running on one of the many dinky NAS boxes based on Linux, like Buffalo Linkstation.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

You can't run leafnode on a box like that. It needs a regular PC running Linux at minimum.

   \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

why? if it runs linux and has a disk drive that's enough.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Since i run linux at home, using leafnode is specifically of interest to me. However i have some atypical requirements (userauth) that is not well supported and i am having some trouble finding source packages for SUSE-10.3. ?

Reply to
JosephKK

Why not just download a tarball & install it by hand?

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

your

based

Several very bad experiences with doing so. Goddamn on branding enginnering. Can you say dependancy hell? ,

Reply to
JosephKK

Hah: The linkstation an ARM 9 box with 128 MB RAM, 1 TB harddisk, GBit NIC and an embedded Linux - WAY above the 386 my first Linux started on. Mine runs Subversion, Apache2 and Python2.5 on top of the original firmware. Takes a while to build all that though.

Anyway, procedures are here:

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

I wouldn't have thought that leafnode would be that bad, seeing as it doesn't have a GUI, or any other fancy requirements. Hm, it does want a few things:

--
libc0.3 (>= 2.9) [hurd-i386]
     GNU C Library: Shared libraries
     also a virtual package provided by libc0.3-udeb
dep: libc6 (>= 2.2) [hppa, i386, mips, mipsel]
     GNU C Library: Shared libraries
     also a virtual package provided by libc6-udeb
dep: libc6
     GNU C Library: Shared libraries
     also a virtual package provided by libc6.1-udeb
dep: libpcre3 (>= 7.7)
     Perl 5 Compatible Regular Expression Library - runtime files
dep: logrotate
     Log rotation utility
dep: openbsd-inetd
     The OpenBSD Internet Superserver
or inet-superserver
     virtual package provided by inetutils-inetd, openbsd-inetd,
rlinetd, xinetd
dep: tcpd
Reply to
Bob Larter

your

all

originate

you

of

drop

IP

based

primary

been

interest

A variant of RPM (redhat package manager). No small part of the issue is that properly matching source/development packages are NOT maintained in parallel with the binary packages. Some of my interests, like leafnode, require properly matched dependencies of both source and binary. Suse is unfortunately sloppy about maintaining (source/development packages) of those of interest to me.

Reply to
JosephKK

JosephKK wrote: [...]

Have you tried installing the RPM package? And if so, what happened?

   \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

What part of "the development package does not reflect what gets compiled to produce the binary package" is getting lost here?

Reply to
JosephKK