Dropbox in Chinese

Ever go to Dropbox and find that they've decided you are Chinese? Google for 'change language' and there's a link to the settings page, and guess what language it's in.

Of course I never even went to the options page before so they changed it based on god knows what.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

"whats my ip" in duckduckgo or google and see if you IP is what you think it should be.

--
Chisolm
Texas-American

Yeah, it's what it should be. Confirmed that the IP belongs to my ISP.

And Dropbox does this when I'm not logged in. I haven't tried to use it in a long time and haven't needed to log in in ages.

I hadn't tried another browser until now. Chrome is ok. And Firefox has it in Chinese but the Chinese language is not even in the installed list and English is selected in FF.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Delete your Dropbox cookies and try again. They use those to remember where they think you are. AliExpress does the same, occasionally deciding I'm in Germany, or Russia, or somewhere else.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I had deleted at least one cookie but you're right, they have another cookie for dropboxstatic.com. Must have gotten the wrong one.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Maybe it was that recent take-out order of Kung Pao Beef and now the Chinese secret service is in your computer :-)

I just bought a bluetooth adapter and now every time I turn the key to ignition a female voice comes up saying "The bluetooth device is ready to pair", with a strong Madarin accent. More like "Zea bluetoo divai is leadeh to peah". Sweet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've never seen that. I have a Chinese menu here and they have kung po chicken but not beef. It has peanuts, and nuts don't go with beef.

They don't even like it any more:

travel.cnn.com/shanghai/eat/why-do-chinese-people-hate-kung-pao-chicken-and-foreigners-love-it-415057/

I'd find a way to disable that or send it back.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Oh they do. My wife doesn't like chicken much so we always get the beef version. Lots of Asian food has nuts or roasted nuts with beef.

That's how it is with most ethnic food. I always loved Greek food in Germany and now we cook some ourselves (can't find it east of Sacramento) but it's not even close to what Greeks eat at home.

Nah, I like it. Probably a lot of younger guys would like to know her phone number :-)

When you move around a lot you get used to accents. I've got one myself.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Then I should ask for it even though it's not on the menu. They make substitutions.

In NYC you have to go to the neighborhood where they live. Greeks live in Astoria so that's where you find great Greek restaurants.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I use:

Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael_A_Terrell

That's actually the first one I used. Then I also used grc.com/shieldsup because those sites could be compromised, and grc is most likely to detect if they've been hacked.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Yes, ask them.

Peanuts and beef combine well. I lived in the Netherlands for a some years and Indonesian food was very popular there. Satay is an Indonesian dish which is meat, and often beef, on skewers with a peanut based sauce. Sometimes with roasted peanut chunks in it. It's also popular in Thailand and other Asian countries but AFAIK not so much in China.

This is our local "go-to" place for Chinese food and, like many here, they offer both Kung Pao Chicken and Kung Pao Beef:

Yes but it's not always a guarantee. For example, after landing in Frankfurt (Germany) I was craving Greek food so badly we asked a policeman where there is a good Greek restaurant, knowing that Frankfurt has a sizeable Greek community. "A _good_ Greek restaurant? Here? Forget it!", was his comment.

When talking to people who vacationed in Greece they were mostly a bit disappointed about the food. They said it wasn't at all like in Greek restaurants in northern Europe. It was tasty but more fat-laden and often resulted in digestive issues for them. I guess it is meant to be followed by a good dose of Ouzo or Metaxa :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Many years ago I worked next to a Thai restaurant in Jackson Heights and got satay often, but mostly I got the stuffed chicken wings. It's the best thing I've ever had. That place is gone but every time I see a new Thai place, I ask if they make stuffed chicken wings. They never do because it's too labor intensive. Some say they used to make it but it was too much work. If you find a Thai place that makes it, I'll fly out to get some.

I like all kinds of Chinese food, but my favorite is Shanghai. But that menu looks like a standard Chinese restaurant menu.

To get real Shanghai, I go to Chinatown and stop a young guy on the street. The young guys all speak English. "Excuse me. Do you know a good Shanghai restaurant?"

The place they send you to is always incredibly good and cheap. And none of those common dishes are on the menu.

If you fly to NYC remember that Astoria is between LaGuardia airport and Manhattan, assuming your destination is Manhattan. Even if you're not going that way, it's only a mile from the airport. Then you can easily find a good Greek place. You can also find good Arab food because they also inhabit Astoria now. Mombar is an Egyptian restaurant whose chef-owner is an EE from Egypt. His bio on the menu says he never got to make or design anything in Egypt; he only fixed things, so changed course. He created the mosaics on the walls and table tops himself, and cooks in a real tajine.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

OTOH, it is much easier to tell someone to go to IPChicken.com, during a phone call. They can remember the name, long enough to do it.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael_A_Terrell

The version of VNC for Apple Macs is called "Chicken of the VNC." I never found a clue as to what chickens have to do with either.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso