Chinese copycats

I bought two of these to test power supplies:

The style of the casings looks familiar doesn't it? When I received them I found out that they copied the old style HP casings! The handles fit perfectly on my old HP 5334A counter :-)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

.htm

You have that wrong. They were making them for HP to begin with.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

It is funny. There are about ten different major camera makers right now and some other "consumer product makers" who all have this one type of 14Mpixel macro zoom camera, which Olympus first released.They must have OEMd out the design similarly to the old Canon print engine era.

Reply to
HectorZeroni

Array makes a DVM that is ubiquitous. It's rebranded as the Keithley

2100 and a zillion others. It's like Nynmrod: many many names.

I had a few, sent them back.

--
John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc
 Click to see the full signature

We had a small Tektronix power supply by the hundreds at one place I worked. We used to call them "Naugas" after the mythical Nauga from which Naugahyde was made. That exact same supply was available under many different names for half to a third of what Tek charged. I pointed this out and was told that the others must be inferior. I bought one and showed that it was identical except for the Tek label and the color of the sheet metal housing.

They then passed a rule saying no employees could bring in any piece of electronics from outside, no old TVs , radios, etc. which a lot of people did so as to fix them on their lunch break. I quit that week.

When they went broke I went to the auction and bought twenty of the supplies in question at $9 each just to piss Jim Tucker's and Rich Gertelsman's people off. I sold them on eBay for a minimum of $75 each. I also bagged two of what I consider the finest scope ever built, the Iwatsu with the CCD scan converter tube. I notice that they never seem to sell on eBay but the identical one with a LeCroy label sells pretty well.

Reply to
rrusston

HP used to sell their equipment chassis to a number of third parties. IFR used a lot of them as did a couple of telco fixture places. Then again Tek sold their entire scope mainframes s OEM products to a lot of other companies. Wiltron bought a lot of them. A lot of these things go for nothing at auctions and have low time CRTs and all the modules you need to maintain Tek scopes.

Reply to
rrusston

Methinks you wasted your money; you would have been better off getting a stump remover to solve the problem...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Most electronic loads can handle static tests. When you are characterizing parts for transients, homebrew schemes of power fets and real resistors is the way to go.

The bean counters encourage the ODM/OEMs. However, as you pointed out, the market rapidly figures out who makes what and just buys from the cheapest source.

I never shopped Harbor Freight until the Home Depot or Lowes started to sell the made in China crap. If I'm going to get Chinese crap, I expect Chinese prices.

Reply to
miso

Why?

Array tried to find a Distributor here in AT and asked me for doing that, but.... I didn`t find something like reputation about them in the Inet, so I refused

regards

- Michael Wieser

Reply to
Michael Wieser

could be they bought them from the same place HP did?

remember half a story from somewhere something like this,

some guy bought a set of aftermarket hinges for a muscle car or something like that and when he got the he was really confused since that looked exactly like the ones his dad had made himself 30 years ago when he had a car like it.

turns out the part had been impossible to get and at some point a parts dealer had bolted a set off a car and sent them to china and told them to make a bunch just like it, it just so happen the car they took them from didn't have the original hinges it was the car the guys dad had made new hinges for himself

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

These casings have a plastic front and a handle on BOTH sides. HP would never do that. Its definitely a copy. OTOH its better than trying to invent the most unlike-a-scope oscilloscope:

Thats a pretty cool story :-)

A while ago I read an article on the Chinese education system. Over there they hammer out any form of initiative or thinking for themselves. So they are left with about a billion people that cannot think outside the box let alone invent something new.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

supplies:

50 years ago that same thing was said about the Japanese. Then came the caveat that they sure copy good. Next it was said, they keep improving things done well. Then they took over consumer electronics. Then they took over compact cars. etc. What is being said about China now? Please remember that are competitive in fastest supercomputer. Their own chip design too. You may soon find value to reconsider.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk