Them Chinese are clever

A while back I got some ultrasonic distance sensors from ebay:

The main idea was to try to use this as wind speed meter, but also curiosity how they did that at 5V DC, as I needed in other experiments many tens of volts for a reasonable signal.. Well, them Chinese are clever, they use the MAX232! Here is a circuit diagram:

By driving the piezo in a bridge from the RS232 output of the MAX232, they could get 24 Vpp (+12 to -12 V). The MAX232 does the voltage generation.

It is an old trick, I have used MAX232 to make a negative supply for some opamps once... But you never are to old to learn a trick, could be used for other things too, like alarm beepers.

This one shows the RX filter:

This sensor works very well actually, I removed the TX piezo side and put it 30 cm away with some wires, and was testing pulse length variations while making wind with a big fan, very hard to see, unknown micro ?

But for the sensors worth the money.

Replace micro and software, there is the ultrasonic wind speed meter.

Maybe it is already on ebay ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

interesting use of a charge pump chip..

I believe I showed a circuit that I employed in a very simple design where I needed a -V on the Vee side of a Lm324 chip ?

I used a spare op-amp to generate a pulse which in turn drove a tranny for a very simple buck boost, which provided the (- Vee) volts for the same LM324 chip.

In the end, the whole circuit operated fine with a 9 volt battery with a +/- dual supply, self generated - rail from that one chip.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

If you know which pins to tap you don't need to run it through the drivers. (this can be determined by inspecting the data sheet)

use a bigger capacitor.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

On a sunny day (6 Jun 2015 12:58:35 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts wrote in :

Yes I took it directly from the '-' cap.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 02 Jun 2015 05:28:54 +1000) it happened Clifford Heath wrote in :

Yea, Joseph Swan invented the lightbulb:

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 02 Jun 2015 05:28:54 +1000) it happened Clifford Heath wrote in :

Yea, but this is now about wind-speed, see me demonstrating the effect of air speed on phase, it is easily measured:

Here I do the same phase compare with 'reflections':

Those were just old remote control piezos, I did that experiment a few years ago, back then I was driving the piezo with a LC oscillor, that is why I was curious how those very clever Chinese were driving it.

As you can see plenty of signal.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It's TVG (time-variable-gain), commonly used in sonar and ultrasound. I designed my first TVG for ADR Ultrasound ~1975. IIRC gain was variable linearly in dB's. ...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Jun 2015 07:19:23 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

I was counting 3 seconds / km from lightning flash to thunder sound long before that. ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I think 1 second / 1000' is more accurate ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Not when you are timing by counting, "one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand".

--

Rick
Reply to

on a really cold day you'd be right, by my arithmetic 333m/s is the more accurate at temperatures above -40

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

For the ultrasound application it _was_ TVG. ...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Tue, 02 Jun 2015 22:46:24 +1000) it happened Clifford Heath wrote in :

My demo on youtube uses Doppler only. That means there is no 'ping', as the transmitted signal is continuous. In the first video I use the Lissajous figure on the scope with x for transmitted and y for received, to see the phase shift:

In the second what you see is the sum for the signal received directly from the transmitter versus the reflected signal from the eraser gum (and my fingers).

You see the minimum ever so many mm (= period).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje