CD4060 oscillator, max resistor value

I use ALT-0176 (numbers of the number pad struck while holding down the ALT key) = °

...Jim Thompson

Strange ... when I put the degree symbol in to my original post with ALT 248 it showed as the correct symbol, but when it read it back in Spehro's (sp???) answer it was converted to a zero again. Strangeness.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Obviously your machine is not only screwing up rending of the "°" symbol, but also scrambling the spelling of my name.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That's not standardized. For example, on this keyboard ALT-176 creates a filled left-arrow. Best is to avoid specialty characters on usenet.

I do use ALT-xxx for one character (left square bracket) because that key quit, on account of a wee brewsky spill. It's still amazing what keyboards can stomach. After that happened I figured that if I could fix it in under an hour it's better than the drive to the PC store in town. Whipped out the screwdriver (not the liquid kind...) and in five minutes I had all its guts laid out. About 7-8 layers of flex, metal foil, membranes, spacer films, plus the two shells. Hosed it all off, let it dry in our driveway. Slapped it back together, works again! Except that this one key quit after a few months.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Beats me. In winter it could be explained, stuff up there easily freezes and swells up, maybe even a degree sign ;-)

Seriously, a guy from QNX told me never to forget your soda outside. And it you find it and the can seems to have gotten bigger, don't go near it ....

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

You didn't pay attention, it's ALT-xxxx

Not all PCs recognize that, it seems. It's all different. For example, Jim wrote he can produce the degree sign with ALT-248. On mine that produces an angle sign.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Not on this here PC ;-)

And I bet most people don't know the "just hose it all off" trick.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

They ain't too fond of cheap box chardonnay, either.

Jim

-- "If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." --Henry Ford

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

I've found that a trip through the pots'n'pans cycle on the dishwasher set to "warm" works well with about five or six drops of liquid hand soap in the soap dispenser. Let it dry for a couple of days in the shade on a hot day and away you go.

Do NOT dry in the direct sun or the warped parts won't fit together too well.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can\'t, you\'re right."
        --Henry Ford

 Hosed it all off, let it
> dry in our driveway. Slapped it back together, works again! Except that
> this one key quit after a few months.
>
> --
> Regards, Joerg
>
> http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

This is goosey. Now the degree symbol shows up for the 24 C but the 90 F has an apostrophe where the degree symbol should be.

"Things keep getting curiouser and curiouser." (Alice)

-- "If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." --Henry Ford

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Ga-a-a-a-ack!

Boxed wines are fortified with excess sodium bi-sulfite to prevent spoilage... splitting headache time :-(

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

[snip]

And over, and over, and over.... ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

As bad as the skunky cheap beer with the formaldehyde remnants that got us all through college?

Jim

-- "If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." --Henry Ford

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Alt-0176, not Alt-176. Makes a difference.

I've done that for much the same reason. They seem curiously intolerant to single-malt spillage-- actually the layers of polyester wick the liquid between them. They could make them much better for a few cents more, but I guess they'd rather sell replacements.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Most beers have always given me a headache, thus the wine drinking... begun in Italian restaurants in Cambridge ;-)

Larkin sent me a six-pack of Widmer Hefeweizen... great taste, no after-headache... marvelous. Then Safeway started carrying it here in Phoenix!

...Jim Thompson

It's orginally Greek (and thus subject to transliteration whims), but I ended up with it because grandpa had it (he immigrated at 9yrs old). I've decided to end that tradition right here. As in the principle this enthusiastic Japanese tourist in Africa displays so magnificently, when in Rome, one should...

Something like "Yeurg"? (gutteral eu sound)

I asked a real Hungarian about the proper pronunciation of the unit of gravitational gradient-- the "eotvos" (after Loránd Eötvös)-- which I happen to be involved with these days. It's far, far worse than it looks..

I think mine's set to US, but the Francophones might have some issues. Usenet is not reliable wrt special characters, but I tend to use the degrees symbol a lot.. I don't see too many problems. The really common one I see isn't in usenet at all- in conversion to PDF where the capital omega symbol (ohms) mysteriously turns into a "W" in some cases. Since they're both valid units, it might cause some momentary confusion.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Ah, you guys just aren't used to that. It's around 103F outside, 93F here in the office right now and I am feeling very comfy. Could use the A/C but I only do that when business visitors come because it tends to make me sick.

Of course, if I have to wait a while for a plot or something it's only

30 seconds from here to the pool. This is an older pic out the office window:

I did a scientific test yesterday with margarita. Required quantity: Three. When you drink it there tends to be an increased ice formation that hardens up around the straw. Maybe it's evaporative cooling, maybe it's the booze in there, who knows. Disfruta la vida!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

A comfortable and sunny 24°C today. Yesterday was stinking hot (over

90'F at 35% RH or something like that).

It's neat when your beer is so cold that ice forms in it when the pressure is relieved by opening it. That's the sort of physics demonstration you can watch over and over.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Pretty close. For North America, outside Quebec only New Yorkers can really make that umlaut sound. Sounds just like in Eötvös.

In the DOS days the omega used to always work. No more :-(