IR LED Voltage / Resistor Value

Hi, I have a IR led and don't know much else about it.. Does anyone know what value of resistor would be good to power on on a 3v battery? I found this nice calculator but don't know any if the ratings abut the LED..

Thanks,

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Swag the forward voltage drop for an IR LED at 1.2 V and aim for something close to 20 mA. So a good standard resistor value would be 100 ohms.

If you need some way to tell if you're turning it on, Radio Shack carries (at least some, still, maybe) an IR LED and phototransistor pair, Catalog #: 276-142.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Also, if you have a camcorder or digital camera with electronic VF or a security camera, these will also ' see ' an infra red LED, and allow you too get an idea of how brightly you've got it burning

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily