Fuseable resistor value.

A 2W resistor in a pc ps, o/c with no sign of heating at all,so clearly marked bands of red,yellow,yellow,gold, silver. Before I remove it and make an axial scrape along the coating would anyone know what that value should be ? 3 band accuracy in a pc or is there some other convention not ordinary 5 band coding ?

N Cook

on

PCs are no different than any other device, resistors are resistors. Red yellow yellow would be 240k according to my calculations.

wattersmt

anyone

some

on

But the point is its 5 bands so 24.4 ohms but the third yellow band implies accuracy between 2.43 and 2.45 ohms but the silver band implies a value between 22 and 26 ohms or so - illogical as Mr Spock would say

N Cook

correction - between 24.3 and 24.5 ohms

Reply to
N Cook

Read your post. red, yellow,yellow,gold, silver. What third yellow band? If you're talking about the gold, that'd be the multiplier on a 5-band resistor, or 10E-1. Silver is tolerance.

I read it as 24.4 at 10% tolerance, so 21.96-26.84.

Dave S.

Reply to
Dave

alright correction , putting in an apostrophe or two for the third yellow band read the third, yellow band,

it still does not explain the tolerance illogicality Why and how would anyone stock a 3/5 band range of resistors which are only

10 percent tolerance?

N Cook

on

NO. That colour code chart is not complete.

The gold is the multiplier and silver is the tolerance. Odd to have 3 bands for the digits though, that's normally only on close tolerance parts.

It looks like 24.4 ohms to me.

This is cute ! Check it out.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

band?

only

But why a 2W 240K resistor in something that is unlikely ever to have more than 350V across it. I've not taken apart yet so it may well never see any high voltages.

N Cook

Why do you expect it to make sense ?

I'm sure I've seen 5 band 5% resistors.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

clearly

anyone

some

on

bands for the digits though, that's normally

a fun app. Interesting the significance of the wide space between band 1 and 2. In 4 band useage you would normally read the other way around as the space would be between the multiplyer and the tolerance band

N Cook

We do in the UK too actually.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How much experience do you actually have in repair ?

From its location in the circuitry you must have SOME idea of its likely value from context ! A fusible is normally a lowish value for example.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Are you sure it's not the startup resistor, and not a fusible type at all ?

240k at a couple of watts is not unreasonable for a resistor in that location, and they do go open for no apparent reason, but probably due to voltage stress, as they do have about 350v across them in normal (UK) operation. I've always assumed that they tend to use these 'bigger' rated resistors, as they have a better working voltage rating, although sometimes, you find two more conservatively rated resistors of 120k each, in series, to double the voltage rating. You can easily tell if it is the startup resistor, because one end of it will be connected directly to the "+" terminal of the main filter cap, or the most "+" terminal if it uses two stacked caps. Beware if it is an open startup resistor, as the main filter cap(s) will remain fully charged ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

yellow

5-band

are

sometimes

more

I've not removed the security screws yet, just the top cover so don't know what its functional area is yet.

I looked around all the 5 band resistors that I have laying about , all 1/2 or 1/3W , not 2W, but they are all brown , 1percent, tolerance band which is logical but silver 10 percent makes no sense at all.

N Cook

1/2

is

and all those 5 band 1/2 and 1/3W resistors , perhaps 20 different values and from different sources have the wide gap between bands 4 and 5 , not between 1 and 2

Reply to
N Cook

Could that last band be a gray instead of silver? That would give you a .05% precision resistor

--
Steve W.
Reply to

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:30:13 +0100, "N Cook" put finger to keyboard and composed:

The only places I can think of that would require a precision resistor (but not fusible) would be the voltage sensing inputs of the PWM controller IC on the secondary side, or maybe the +5VSB supply. In these cases precision resistors are usually preferred to trimpots.

If you could describe the circuitry in the immediate vicinity, or provide a photo, perhaps someone may be able to make sense of it.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

anyone

Now taken apart and no longer viewing this R skew on. It is 5 bands as stated but is only 1W. Doing an axial scrape it was obviously 240K and goes between the rectified mains + to pin 3 of a 4 pin , TO220 device marked

1HO165B and italic f logo so maybe Fairchild power switch KA1H0165R so plenty of datasheets, pin 1 of that device goes to mains rectified -ve

So still a mystery of the gold and silver bands 4 and 5

N Cook

So it is the startup resistor, as I suggested it would be. I would replace it with two 120k 1 watters in series to double the voltage rating. Watch that cap "+" terminal when you take your soldering iron to the resistor, for in that cap lurks lightning ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The startup resistor as Arfa suggested IIRC.

Now that info would have made establishing its value so much easier.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore