Building a transformer

I used to work for a battery charger manufacturer who made their own transformers. They had a machine to stack the lams, alternating, of course, and a big machine to spin the bobbin while the guy hand-wound the windings on it. Then, when it was all stacked, they'd whack it to make sure all of the lams were as tight as they could get them, bolt it up, hypot it, and then bake them and dip them in hot varnish.

BTW, I don't think there are many USENETizens who would consider themselves part of any "collective" - that's the Borg. =:-O

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Forgot one detail:

first rool the primary coil them put a plastic or corse paper strip to isolate the 2 coils then rool the secundary coil

Reply to
ArameFarpado

You haven'''t got a basic f****ng clue have you. Here we are going for rentry and some idiot wants to wake up Jim for the recip for fried eggs. The air sytem might be loaded but we're 15 minutes to slash and two minits from scoff with ALL the trimmings and someone wants to check the database.

Absolutlyee blodddy amaxzing.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

2N3055s are as common as 2N2222s. Salvage them from junked supplies or amps, and the cost is nothing.
Reply to
Father Haskell

Taking out the old secondary is almost trivial, with a hacksaw and a chisel. ;-)

But apparenlty, you need to add windings to the primary to bring the magnetizing current down, or somethiing like that. I have an old MOT that I've been experimenting with, and the idling current is just way too much for any self-respecting 60 Hz trannie, albeit they do have to account for the shunts, which current-limit the output.

On and off, I've been poking around with this thing, but now I'm at a crossroads with it - do I cut it open, take the bobbin out, and enhance the primary that way, or do I thread more #18 Formvar wire through it until I build up another layer of windings? So far, threading the new wire through has turned out to be much more of a PITA than I had expected, so it's kind of on the back burner for the moment.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

This might be a good candidate for a triac phase fired circuit such as:

These can be noisy, but they are very efficient, and low in cost.

If you want to make your own transformer,

has transformer kits. I think a 1.4 kVA core (available in 120 or 120/240) is about $100. I have used that same core (actually 4 of them) to build a transformer rated at 5.6 volts at 1000 amps continuous. I used bus bar for the secondary. You can do the same thing with an old Variac. However, it is a tedious process to wind a high voltage winding. The 1.4 kVA core has 0.7 volts per turn, so you'd need nearly 90 turns for each of your 60 volt outputs.

Most importantly, consider exactly what you need the supply for, and build, buy, or modify according to the exact specifications you actually require. You must look at efficiency, weight, size, line and load regulation, max and min voltage adjustment, ripple, noise, overshoot or droop on load change, response time, cost, and time to design, build, and troubleshoot.

You can get so much high quality equipment on eBay and at electronic flea markets, that building your own is usually only for very special requirements or as a learning experience.

For logic circuits, I would recommend a separate 5 VDC (or 3.3, etc.) designed for that purpose, with a good crowbar overvoltage protection circuit. A wide range adjustable bench supply can too easily generate a spike that will wipe out (or incrementally damage) all the logic circuits. It might be a good idea to put a crowbar on the logic board.

Good luck,

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Yea I know. That's very common in the audio industry but we Engineers should know better and use the proper terms. America is stupid enough without us adding to it, don't ya think?

Reply to
Bob Eld

I've run out of library shelf space, so I've been donating out of date books (like "Mother of All Windows" for Win95) to charity book sales ;-)

...Jim Thompson

It's in my GE handbook from 1973. ISTR some magazine article from 1971 using it, but I'm not going up in the attic dusting off that pile of old mags.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Look for a surplus transformer, you won't save any money trying to build one yourself.

That's a BIG supply to be using a linear regulator for, I suggest looking at some of the switcher IC's available now days, National Semiconductor makes a series called Simple Switchers which are FAR easier to work with than designing a switcher from scratch and they have HV versions which are good to 80V or so.

Reply to
James Sweet

Wasn't that around the time the Dynaco ST-400 came out? I rebuilt one of those once, seems like it used a bunch of big Motorola power transistors, I forget the numbers but they weren't 3055's. Seems like there were 4 of each polarity per channel, or maybe it was 2, I do remember the heatsinks were HUGE.

Reply to
James Sweet

In message , dated Wed, 9 Aug 2006, James Sweet writes

Many manufacturers used 'custom' devices which were allegedly tested to custom specifications by the device manufacturer. The Vcc max might be higher than for the normal device, and/or beta range might be less.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In message , dated Wed, 9 Aug 2006, ArameFarpado writes

Does nobody know how to calculate rectifier circuits any more?

This will need to be a 900 W transformer.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

"James Sweet"

** 1973, according to this schematic:

** Nope - more like the 100 volt, 200 watt, 30 amp MJ802 / 4502 devices.
** The power devices were operated in *series* instead of parallel mode as used in other high power amps. Made the Vcc and SOA requirements of the output devices sooooo much easier. 2N3055s and the similar BDY20 appeared in the late 1960s, as did the RCA 38494 and 40411 used in the famous Quad 303 hi-fi amplifier.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In message , dated Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Phil Allison writes

38494 is a custom part number, but 40411 looks like a standard part. What substitute devices are used for repairs?

My 303 suffered its second elco failure recently, and an elco in the 33 preamp came out in sympathy. Coincidence. Of course, I put new elcos in both channels.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

I've replaced 40411s with 2N3773.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I have to agree with the sentiment 100%. Surplus transformers are always going to be cheaper than custom-built :-). Most oddball transformers on E-bay sell for pennies on the dollar (actually most don't sell at all!)

And construction and mounting-wise, a lot of small transformers are way easier to deal with than one mammoth one. Above a very small number of VA you start building the case and mounting reinforcements around the transformer anyway :-).

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Very small transformers have large numbers of turns and the wire is thinner. Somewhere around 50 to 100 VA is a good size to learn on.

If you can get a split bobbin, you will avoid a lot of safety issues.

For winding heavy wire, I find it best (in the absence of a large enough winding machine) to tie one end of the wire to the front gatepost, then lay it down the side of the house and down the back garden path. I walk up the garden, reeling-in the wire onto the bobbin and counting the turns as I go. The tension is easy to control by just keeping a steady pull against the wire.

Carry tools, string, insulation material and adhesive tape in your pockets; you won't be able to put the core down to go and fetch them because the windings will spring undone.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Look for a blown-out 200-400 watt audio amplifier (or receiver) at a garage sale. The transformer you'll find in it will be pretty close to what you want. The amp will also include a lot of other very useful items such as big heat sinks, and so on.

Isaac

Reply to
isw
2N3055s ...and AD149s ... all Si too ...
Reply to
sparc