Building a transformer

u know ...if u really wish to "learn" ...why dont you design yourself a

50A, 0-50V continuously variable SMPS ....capable of operating in both CV and CC modes.

(i know what some ppl are going to say ....he wants to learn ...not repent)

Reply to
sparc

I have a HP 6268B here with a bad transformer. I didn't even think of rebuilding the transformer. Well it did do 0-40 volts at 0-30 amps. I just recently got the idea to buy another used transformer at some reduce specs to install in the beast. Hmmmm.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Given the replies i've had on this, it seems the more sensible way of going about it. Whilst i'm sure I will enjoy with experimenting with transformers in the future, building a power transformer - specifically the beast i'm after does seem to be costly and time consuming going by the responses i've had on this thread, and is unlikely to work (first time around anyway), where in contrast I could just pick up old/broken equipment at the local car boot sale for under a fiver. I've had a little read on (very basic concepts of) switching mode power supplies, and this does seem to way to go in terms of efficiency and size.

So yes, forgive me for my sins, I repent! ;)

Thanks to all those that offered their advice however, it's been insightful to me, and I certainly wont give up the opportunity to build my own transformers in future... just not on such a power crazed level where there are better solutions.

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark Fortune

Also realize 50A at 50V is 2500 watts at 100% efficiency. If you are in the USA, you will need a 220V power connection to do this.

David

Reply to
David

Yes, you need about 50% more wire on the primary to get the idle current down from 3 amps. I think microwave transformers go into saturation with no load. Another problem is the iron laminations are all welded together on the base plate, so the iron gets hot from the huge eddy currents. Probably better to use some other kind of transformer. I have one from an old pin ball machine that idles at 10mA with no load.

-Bill

Reply to
wrongaddress

--------------8 So yes, forgive me for my sins, I repent! ;)

Wow, pretty sure i'm not going to need 50A at any voltage... not sure where that came from as originally I only wanted 10A. Incidently though, im in the UK so we have 230V by default.

Reply to
Mark Fortune

All Pro-Electron numbered devices beginning with "A" are Germanium!

Reply to
ian field

Not to mention the heatsinks it'll take when you want to deliver, say,

12 volts at anywhere near that 50 Amps. Hint: Plan on a fan and wheels.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

I'd also query the need for such a large bench top supply - unless you're regularly repairing or building things like power amps.

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

aha, you've discovered one of my planned future hobbies :) any money in it though?

Reply to
Mark Fortune

In message , dated Fri, 11 Aug

2006, Mark Fortune writes

Yes, you'll spend quite a bit.

Everybody and his dog makes power amplifiers. Try something else (which is small-signal and thus less likely to emit flames and smoke). For example, low-level active crossovers; 2-way, 3-way, 4-way, Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley, Bessel, transitional Gaussian, Thiele....

Enough to keep you busy for 50 years. And there isn't a great deal of competition, at sensible prices, so you could sell a few on Ebay. There is other low-level stuff which, compared with power amps, is a doddle to get working if you master the design mathematics.

And you only need a +/- 12 V power supply at 10 mA. (;-)

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Is there REALLY a market for active crossovers?

...Jim Thompson

In message , dated Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Jim Thompson writes

The industry as a whole is slowly coming round to the realization that some of us have had for a long time, that active crossovers are the only ones that work properly, are extremely cheap and can be designed without a lot of fiddling. The extra amplifiers required are cheaper than the equivalent passive crossover.

Besides, do you want to build a 4th/8th-order Linkwitz-Riley 3-way using passive components? (The midrange section is a bandpass filter so has to be 8th-order.) You will also need Zobel networks (accurate ones) for each driver, so as to properly terminate each filter. BIG, costly components. No electrolytic capacitors, of course, because you need

+/-5% tolerance or better.
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

I ran across info on rectifier design up through filtering (but not regulation) at:

It is: Rectifier applications handbook - 272 pg - 2MB From a brief scan it looked very good and more than anyone here wants to know about rectifiers, including the physics.

A paperback book for transformers: Practical Transformer Design Handbook; Eric Lowdon; published by Howard W Sams; 240 pages; 8x11"; my copy is 1981. It is aimed at experimenters designing single transformers using salvaged cores. I thought it was very good. It may be hard to find, but with the internet who knows.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

I've never found large bench supplies helpful for designing power amps.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Not as much as you might think.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

10mA ? That'll power a pair of 5532s !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In the pro-audio market for sure.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Good link, Bud! Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

In message , dated Fri, 11 Aug

2006, Eeyore writes

Not only. Of course, all the while the consumer industry can get away with a 2 uF in series with a tweeter with no magnet to speak of, why bother with active crossovers? But these things DO percolate down.