Bogus Newspaper Career Ads for Electronics Designers

I remember a couple of years ago seeing a Raytheon career ad in the Vancouver Sun (British Columbia, Canada) The qualifications were complete techno gibberish..like science fiction. I guessed their main researcher died (or deported to russia) and the job ad was based on finishing cutting edge patent pending research that nobody knew anything about..

We have 2 major beautifully located universities. One with a nude beach by the way...anyways . My point: There's no local university or tech school that could prepare anyone to qualify for this Raytheon job..

I think Raytheon looks dum for posting a newspaper ad for an obvious internal position..

Why would Raytheon put a career ad in a local paper where probably nobody can qualify? I don't even think Raytheon has local competition.

For fun...I went on the Ratheon.ca site.. There's no Vancouver location anymore! D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Most personnel departments insist that they place job ads, and know too little about the jobs to get the techno gibberish right - even when engineering writes the ad, they will still insist on editing it "to make the message clearer". Pretty much all the personnel people I've dealt with haven't known enough to realise how totally clueless they were, and I've never found any way of educating them even up to that low level.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

That is like a company advertising for someone with 25 years experience running a machine designed three year earlier. They seem to think the guy they are replacing did the exact same job, from the day he was hired.

A two way radio shop wanted someone with 10 years experience on a particular radio line that had started shipping six years earlier. What idiots. HR should go back to being the Personnel department, and not hide in their office all day long. they need to spend at least a day a week on the production floor, so they know exactly how things work.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I mean the ad was really off beat.. Something like... " Raytheon requires an engineer experienced with the GHYU898 tri phase units and ZVBXX channel systems. Experience in YX98 models and YX99 multi core digital electron focusing processors a must. "

  • 15 more lines of "in house" gobble d gook....

WTF! Only the guy that designed this stuff knows this sh!t.. I was looking for work at the time and the ad was just a slap in the face.. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

When a greedy manager wants to "replace" some mid to high paying slot (engineer,IT, etc), they manufacture qualifications and place an ad to prove that no local talent is available - thus they can do an H1-B or something like that. This shit has been happening for over 30 years.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The best method of education is the showing of the egress to them.

Reply to
Robert Baer

...so apply for that *specific* job and if any awkward questions pop up, just cite that for security reasons you cannot answer.

Reply to
Robert Baer

H1-B? I don't know what that is but I think I can guess.. Is that a form that allows the hiring of someone who is not a resident or citizen.. It has to be proven that only a foreign person qualifies for the position. Therefore the bogus career ad.

100's of locals can apply. HR just reads resumes for nothing because no one qualifies. Who gets the job...it's low salary Boris from Russia!!

Or..is it some sort of tax break..? D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Most likely they already had someone they wanted for the job and were just going through the motions. Perhaps he was from overseas and they had to pretend to search in Canada just to get a residence permit for him.

BTW, I still see ads in Vancouver looking for programmers who know all technologies and offering $10 / hr. Yeah, right.

--
.
Reply to

Yes, in the USA.

--
.
Reply to

Ahhh...I knew something fishy was going on..

About those programmers.. It might be that there's too many starving programmers driving the salaries down.. The only 2 professions that make the most money in Vancouver I think are surgeons (guessing $150000/year) and prostitutes (guessing $180000/year cash! so add 35%)

It may not be cool but when I get a call for an interview ..my first question is "What is the max salary offered?." D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

A place where I worked once advertised for a programmer skilled in Z80 ASM, PL-Z, Fortran, Cobol, and APL.

After the ad came out, we realized that the only people on Earth who had skills of that mix probably already worked at our place.

Reply to
Richard Henry

If anyone applies for a job that has ieee anywhere on their cv then their cv get shit tinned by default.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Close. Governments have labour regulations that require equal treatment of qualified applicants, or preference for residents vs foreigners, etc. The loophole is "qualified applicants". So when you find the person you want to hire, you advertise that person's exact qualifications as the non-negotiable minimum requirement, and you get to hire whom you like.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Fk..nobody told me sh!t like that happens when I went to BCIT.

I'm going to quote this part for fun: "So when you find the person you want to hire, you advertise that person's exact qualifications as the non-negotiable minimum requirement"

Hee hee

Ok...Here's my new VANCOUVER posted Raytheon career ad for Boris in Russia.. (Raytheon justs wants Boris...but has to locally advertise.)

Raytheon has an exciting career opportunity for a electronics design technologist with the following qualifications: Experience in Valdinov Parallel Processing Algorithms Familiar with Soviet multilayer component assembly practice Viktor center X9 level military electronics training Graduate of MIT...(Moscow Institute of Technology ) Please send resumes to snipped-for-privacy@Raytheon.ca

... :P D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

The only tax break is (eventually) the corporations will get them and the peons get to make up the difference (and then some).

Reply to
Robert Baer

It's a particular form of American foriegn worker imigration. There is no direct Canadian equivalent AFAIK.

Robert

Robert Adsett

Sounds like Raytheon Canada won the contract for the Pentagon's latest high weapons system.

We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.
                -- Walt Kelly, "Pogo"
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.