eWill Software for the Recently Deceased

AFAIK this doesn't exist... It's a computer program..I'm calling it an eWill. Next of kin can enter a code on a computer belonging to the person that passed away. This activates the eWill program..

What an eWill program does is it automatically sends prepared emails to contacts, posts to usenet and may even upload a memorial to a webserver. "I'm dead!" The program notifies utilities, taxation, business contacts etc.. The eWill program could set email for an auto reply: "Can't reply...I'm dead.."

A "if you're seeing this.." video can play too.

It can transfer funds online, send final payments, end autobilling and close accounts.

Prepared posts to eBay or Craiglist can be authorized to begin selling belongings.

The person who entered the code is also shown critical files to take care of and then the computer could do an auto wipe out.

Will eWill sell?

"It's the program you're dying to get!"

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

It doesn't sound like a bad idea. Unless some virus makes it false-trigger - that could be messy.

--
John
Reply to

John O'Flaherty wrote:

Don't port it to Windoze. Make it a (Linux) Live CD.

Reply to
JeffM

D from BC hath wroth:

You're behind the times. Prefixing buzzwords with an "e" was fashionable during the dot com era (1995-2000) but is now considered passe. The current fashion is to prefix an "i" as in iTunes, iPass, iPod, and iPhone.

I can see you've never had to deal with a fatality. Besides the stamped official death certificate from the coroners office, there are numerous other documents required to notify the banks, credit card companies, taxing agencies, license burros, insurance companies, ad nauseam. Most of these require copies of the death certificate, which cannot be emailed or legally copied. Some states require public notice in the obituary section of the newspaper (web sites do not qualify).

Next of Kin Project:

That would be tacky, but effective depending on content. Be sure to include official enemies, local officials, and collection agencies on the distribution list.

Nope. As soon as someone dies, the bank locks the accounts until the will is settled or the estate is probated. If the deceased died without a will, it can take years to shove it through the legal swamp.

Nope. That has to be settled by a will or probate. Only the designed executor is entitled to dispose of property. If the will is in probate court, permission of the court will be required. The IRS and state tax agencies also have a vested interest in preventing premature disposal of the estate and will do everything in their power to obstruct such sales.

There's also a tendency for the relatives to grab anything that's not nailed down immediately after the death. Many families keep the death a secret until they can secure their relatives possession.

I'm a bit ahead of your there. I once wrote a rather crude program that vaporized the hard disk contents if the machine was not used for a prescribed amount of time. Use it, or lose it, literally. I think my customer was a bookkeeper for the Mafia or something similar. The parallel port to thermite bomb detonator was deemed a bit too messy and not included.

Maybe, if you sold it COD. The dead don't pay their bills.

Cute. I don't think dead people is a very financially attractive market. It's like selling product to the homeless. They just don't have any money to spend.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

So that 0.0000000001% of the world see it.

--
Gibbo

In accordance with our company policy of minimum environmental impact
this post was made entirely with the 100% recycled electron.
Reply to
Gibbo

Ok...call it iWill.. (It does sound better.. :) ) Or..I can start a new trend and call it uWill... 'uWill do all my final actions...'

And yes...it's true I've never have had to deal with all the paperwork for someone that's died on me. You certainly pulled out the limitations..

iWill can still do some useful functions but sadly not the part that's the major headache. Not yet anyways.. However, perhaps an agreement can be made with all parties involved (insurance, banks, legal) that an iWill program has the power to bypass all the current procedures when someone dies.. Perhaps the iWill program can electronically transfer ownership of property and assets to next of kin.

Great feedback.... iWill be thinking about it. :)

'uWill ....get a copy today!'

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC