BJT EM1 model

I decided to spend a little hobbyist time and see what I could make of the DC parts of the EM model for the BJT. This basically means the EM1 plus the Early voltage of the EM3 model, as I gather it.

I started out with the very simple case of a 2N3906 BJT and attempted to make predictions about a clearly saturated case to start. The

2N3906 is modeled with the following key values:

Bf = 300 Br = 4 Is = 1E-14 Vaf = 100

In the saturated case I tried, I presumed a current source arrangement like this:

--> FIGURE 1 : 1mA : : | : | : |/c : .1mA --| : |>e : | : --- : ///

A basic beta=10 situation.

I decided to use the hybrid-PI form of EM1. After some algebraic manipulations, I arrived at the following equations:

Ie + Ic * (1 + 1/Bf) Iec = --------------------------- 1 - (1 + 1/Bf) * (1 + 1/Br)

Ic + Ie * (1 + 1/Br) Icc = --------------------------- 1 - (1 + 1/Bf) * (1 + 1/Br)

Ib = Icc/Bf + Iec/Br

Vbc = (kT/q) * ln( 1 + Iec/Is )

Vbe = (kT/q) * ln( 1 + Icc/Is )

where Ie is the actual emitter current (all currents measured as positive-in, negative out), Ic is the actual collector current, Ib is the actual base current, Iec and Icc are model currents, and Vbc and Vbe are probably obvious and I can compute Vce = Vbe - Vbc.

From the inputs from my above example of Ic = 1mA, Ie = 1.1mA, I get:

Iec = 3.8033e-4 Icc = 1.4754e-3 Ib = 1e-4 (as expected) Vbc = 630.115mV Vbe = 665.179mV Vce = 35.064mV

This turns out to match the spice modeling of Vce and Vbe pretty well. So that part is okay.

When I turned to examine the normal region, though, as opposed to the saturated region, I run immediately into a model problem. Let me illustrate:

--> FIGURE 2 : 1mA : : | : | : |/c : 3uA --| : |>e : | : --- : ///

In this case, I already know that Bf is about 300 and so this is not too far from achievable. But my task is to now predict the voltage at the collector.

However, the problem is that in the normal region I expect that the current contributions from the reverse-biased Vbc to be negligible and the base current should be independent of Vce and only depending on Ic. All this suggests to me that the above equations are going to run into trouble. And they do. Let's see:

From the inputs of Ic = 1mA, Ie = 1.003mA, I get:

Iec = -1.3115e-6 Icc = 9.9836e-4 Ib = 3e-6 (as expected) Vbc = 483.634mV + j*81.257mV Vbe = 655.076mV

Ah. A complex number for Vbc. Not so good. (Note that the model Iec value is negative and substantially larger than Is.)

This makes some sense. The expectation is that Ib = Ic/Bf and this is independent of Vce, in the simple case without Vaf figured in. And so there is no particular Vce that then suggests itself. Any would work. And in the above case, Ib < Ic/Bf by some small factor. Not equal.

Which brings me to fold in EM3's Vaf parameter. Since now a once-flat curve will have a tilt to it, I can simply follow out along the Ib line to find the appropriate Vce needed to hit the Ic I have.

But I needed to figure out the key elements of the triangle formed with Vaf. For this, I decided to look at this case:

--> FIGURE 3 : Vx : : | : | : |/c : Vx ---| : |>e : | : --- : ///

Here, I'm basically taking Vce = Vbe, or Vbc=0. In this case, the value of Ic can be computed from Vbe directly, and Ib set to 1/Bf of that figure. This provides me with an Ic(Vbc=0) benchmark for the triangle. I can then extrapolate:

(Vaf + Vbc) Icc -------------------- = ------- (Vaf + Vbe_computed) Ib * Bf

What I'm going is ratioing the modeled Icc value against the Ib value multiplied by the expected forward beta, Bf. That ratio, if larger than one, should be reflected by pushing Vbc higher than Vbe, to compensate. I chose the Vbe here to be the one I computed using the modeled Icc, arbitrarily setting Vbc=0, and assuming that then the case would be that Icc=Ib*Bf, so that if Icc is actually higher, then Vbc must be >0.

From this, I solved for Vbc as:

Icc * ( Vaf - Vbe ) Vbc = ------------------- - Vaf Ib * Bf

Here, I computed that Vbc = 11.656V, which is close to the modeled value in spice and using the fuller spice model for that 2N3906.

So I think I'm on the right track here. But I'm interested in specific corrections to my concepts in the basic EM DC model of the BJT.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Actually, I used: Ic = 1mA, Ie = -1.1mA. Note that Ie is negative.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

[snip]

NE, IKF, RB, RBM and ISE are critical parameters you haven't considered.

...Jim Thompson

             Make Cinco de Mayo a Day Without a Gringo

First off, I really just wanted to do calculations on the basis of EM1 and keep only to a very simple set of cases -- not delving into corrections needed at rather high or very low current domains. Those parameters, those I recognize such as NE and RB, are for EM2 and beyond. Do you know if these would materially impact the magnitude of my calculations for the cases mentioned?

NE defaults to 1.5 in the spice I'm using (the 2N3904 model I'm using doesn't specify it, so the default is used.) And I think that one applies at very low currents. RB is 20 ohms. I don't see that as posing a significant change, at this point.

Anyway, I'm first trying to make sure I can manage to get into the ballpark with the EM1 model. Since I ran into a problem in projecting the Vce for the normal case (not saturated) right away, I was then _forced_ to reach into the EM3 model for the Vaf figure. No choice. But I want to pick up only what is important to begin, in following the DC behavior, before adding in 2nd order, 3rd order, etc. corrections.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan