Decided to speed up my barbecue modifications...

Decided to speed up my barbecue modifications...

Cut away all the excess sheet metal (*) and cement board this morning, in about an hour ;-)

(*) Barby is sheet metal studs, overlaid with cement board, then stucco.

Decided (by SWMBO) to have an Octoberfest here this year ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You put it on the glass table with the disk down? My wife would read me the riot act.

FYI, the real man's tool is this, would have done the job in five minutes:

Please, post a picture of you in Lederhosen :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Only if you scoot them.

I rent that sort of thing on occasion. But it's not quite the tool to use for small tight locations.

That'll be the day ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Don't be so sure, there's exposed hard granules in some, weight is enough to crunch into a glass surface.

[...]

With hat, and feathers on it :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

And the accordion. Never forget the accordion.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

I might post a "moon" shot ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I'm glad you said that ! I would not have dared to... A hanging offence ;-)

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Accordion to who? ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

OOOOOOH,I GOTTA get me one of those Roto-Zips!!! That right angle cutoff jig is just what I can really use!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You'll need a wide angle lens! ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

Stumbled onto that yesterday at Lowe's while trying to decide what tool would solve my problem: metal edging on the original stucco job. That metal cut-off blade made short, but clean-edged, work of trimming the sheet metal. Now I need to get a masonry blade for it, to speed up cutting the cement board back about 1/2".

...Jim Thompson

I have a roto zip, its good if you like crooked lines. Its much like a router, you need to cut in a clock wise fashion with a guide. It does make quick work of drywall. But you end up looking like Frosty the snowman.

Martin Riddle

I found the cut-off tool remarkably easy to control. Now I admit approaching the cut line with extreme caution, anticipating "grab", but it didn't happen.

Routing without a guide is always a tricky procedure. (I personally prefer a table router.) I note that straight-line and circle guide accessories are available for the RotoZip.

...Jim Thompson

The circle guide works extremely well. I used mine a bunch on bathroom floors. The only problem I've had with the RotoZip is bearings. The stuff one tends to cut with RotoZips is pretty abrasive and the bearings aren't sealed well. I think mine's pretty well shot after a couple of bathrooms. OTOH it outlasted three Dremmel tools cutting out the grout in one tub surround. As has been discussed here before, the Multi-master clones look a lot better suited for the job. Well, not so much for circles. ;-)

Reply to
krw

"Martin Riddle" wrote in news:h8j8oj$i83$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

don't want it for drywall,I want it for that cutoff accessory. I already have a router and a Dremel model 270,that the newer accessories don't fit,so a right-angle cutoff gizmo is not available for it.

I'd do drywall jobs with a drywall saw.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I have a really little zip tool for making electric box cut-outs in drywall. Great in tight places.

...Jim Thompson

I just use my Bosch electrical jig saw. I ground a few blades to have sharp and pointy tips. Draw outline, take saw, hold on inside corner, ka-crunch, press button. But first make sure there is nothing underneath. If I want to be extra good I screw in a hook and tie a rope to it so the cutout piece won't fall into the wall.

This method once impressed the heck out of a seasoned contractor.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Similar to my repair method for those dumb door knob stops they place on un-backed drywall... Take piece of 1/2" thick wood, as wide as hole but substantially longer. Drill hole thru middle, tie string. Apply construction glue to face of ends of wood. Slip wood strip thru hole and pull tight with string. Dry wall patch, then remount door stop with screw into wood ;-)

Also works for towel bars that were used as hand-holds :-(

...Jim Thompson

Or when a grandson saw a Karate movie and tried a swing. Seen the aftermath of such an episode. The drywall lost.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

My autistic grandson doesn't do it anymore, but he did, in the past, put his fist thru drywall and an occasional door :-(

...Jim Thompson